Jotul 3 Installation Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caterpillardoc

Nov 1, 2023
Doswell, Va
My previous experience with wood stoves have been a Buck Mama Bear, a Sears wood circulator and a fireplace insert. I haven’t used a wood stove for years and wanted a something for emergency heating and an occasional fire. I am heating a 1150 sq ft ranch in central Va. I recently purchased a used Jotul 3 that is in very good condition that I am now ready to install.

I want to make sure the stove is installed properly with correct clearances. My challenge is limited space and I am not very familiar with what can be safely done to reduce clearance.

The Jotul installation manual says that if insulated pipe and a 05 950071 heat shield is used the clearance can be dropped from 34” to 13”. Who can I check with for the heat shield?

My understanding is the F3CB is basically the same stove and I have found heat shields for them. Can I safely use the heat shield for a F3CB on a model 3?

Without a heat shield I don’t think I can get the required minimum clearance. If anyone has suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

IMG_3230.jpeg

Internally they are quite different. Putting the F3CB heat shield on the F3 would not achieve this reduction because it is untested. A proper NFPA 211 wall shielding will accomplish the reduction.

Thank you for your reply. I have decided the F3 is not a good option for me and I will be selling it. I hopefully someone else will be able to use it. The stove is in excellent condition.