Buck model51

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuckeye

Nov 18, 2006
Is a Buck a good stove? What would be a good insert for price? I know this is wide open but please tell me what you think.

ae we talking new or used? Buck stoves are decent quality been in business a long long time

I bought a new one but my glass gets dirty quickly and i feel as if i may of paid to much. i guess it doesnt much matter cause I done bought it. i already wondering if there is better quality and i may move this one to garage and buy another. Whats the best quality reagrdless of price?

thanks
Brad

GO BUCKEYES!!!!

I have to believe that the smoking may have more to do with your wood and the burning technique. Buck sells a bunch of stoves and if there were problems I am sure somebody would have chimed in about it here on the Forum.

What kinda wood ya burning? Seasoned how long? What stove top temperatures? Loading all at once or building the load gradually? What air settings at various points in the burn? What is your chimney configuration?

One of the most respected members of this forum ,sells buck stoves, Victoria Fireplace, Karen Duke. She also gives seminare to the building officials in VA. You can e-mail her
retail establishment or set up a chat session with her, for advice concerning buck stoves. You could buy the best Vermont Casting Defiant and smoke the glass, if burning less that dry seasoned wood. The glass is telling you,the wood is not ready for prime time burning. Imagine what deposits it is leaving in your chimney? Do this, go down to the local super market / hardware store and buy a packade of dry wood, clean your glass and run that wood in the stove. Then report back to the forum the results. If you just purchased the wood and you personally have not stacked and dried it out, It is probably not dry. Many post here are complaints about buying seasoned wood which is not. Almost impossible to get seasond wood this time of year

BB is correct its not the stove its the wet wood

I'm told that mine is a buck-based brand... I don't know how old it is, but I love it... The rear blower setup works great for me, never had a problem with smoke entering the blower system, the motor is original and strong, mine has 2 sliding dampers on the bottom for air, and a large sliding damper on the top for smoke, can be closed all the way and still burn, because it is designed to not have a total closeoff, it's slotted in such a way that with top damper closed, and bottom dampers open 1 slot each, it burns wood hot and slow, so long as it's fired up good and hot once or twice a day, creosote buildup is eliminated.

I don't know much about it, but I'm very happy with mine, have no complaints whatsoever, and I've worked with some pretty fancy newer models... Don't know how similar the one you are referring to is, though...

I will try the dry wood and get back to you all. thats an excellent idea. I have a strong suspiscion my wood is not dry. i just bought some. is there any way of finding a garantee on dry seasoned wood? When air is wide open it does ok but when I turn the air down, restrict the air flow, it smokes up pretty easily. I am new to stove burning so obviously there is some mistakes on my part, but I would think I could turn the air down to increase burn time, right? and not smoke up glass. By the way it smokes up especially in corners. I appreciate everyones willingness to help. This is a great forum. I love the wood burning and cant wait to try and master it. So far it seems to be more involved than I expected.

Thanks
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.