Buddy is Looking at a House, What is this THING?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
My buddy is looking at a house on a large wood lot. He says it has a "fireplace" and he is hoping to upgrade it to something that he can use to provide heat. I pulled this picture from the for sale listing. Any ideas what this is? The house was built in 2001. The "chimney" is vinyl sided, so I assume this is a zero clearance pre-fab unit.

Buddy is Looking at a House, What is this THING?

COULD this be a typical wood guzzling fireplace? Or does the 2001 build date mean it would have had to be an EPA efficient heat machine?

ac

That stonework is yet one more example of folks with more money than taste. My god!

Sorry I'm no help with the fireplace... I'm sure someone smarter will be along shortly.

Peanut gallery comments aside, this 'looks' like a simple ZC fireplace. It's still very possible to buy and install these contractor grade units. Have your buddy do a close inspection to look for a make and model. This is often on a little plate in the door frame.

I agree with BG, I see those all the time, looks like a ZC fireplace, and yes, the stone is ugly, if your buddy buys the house maybe he can rip the whole thing down and build a nice hearth with a flue for a freestander.

That sort of look can be done right, by the way

Egads - is that dry stacked??

Yep, sure looks like a ZC stove. Is remodel a possibility or is the plan to use it? As it sits, it will probably produce negligible heat, but it could be done different. Personally, I would rehab the area for a freestander, but that is simply my pref.

Status
Not open for further replies.