BUGS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
I found some bugs. this one is harmless https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior:Bugs/Woodlouse
The other i think is a harmless beetle. i took a photo of it.

*EDIT
After warming the wood with tiny holes I ripped off some bark to reveal small bugs underneath. they appear mildy transparent. This cant be good so I took the suspect wood back outside.I found a video online that shows the bug.

Ill do some research later to fins things out....just too busy at the moment so looking for help here.

My other wood (different kind of wood) is not infested with holes and has no bugs under the bark.

what do you guys think and what do you do to control harfmul wood eating bugs from entering the house....I cant get a good photo they are too small.

should i just throw out the bad wood? I am not sure of the type of wood.

Attachments

• 20171123_191647.jpg
    20171123_191647.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 207
  • 20171123_191654.jpg
    20171123_191654.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 20171123_191851.jpg
    20171123_191851.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Reactions: beermann
I store it under cover away from the house until any punk is dry. If it keeps getting damp it never gets the chance. Crawlies don't seem to have much use for it once its dry.

Burn em up.

Outside, Jatoxico has the right idea.

Beyond that, bugs inside are an inevitable byproduct of heating with wood. Actually, no way to avoid insect squatters even without bringing them inside with the wood.

Dont tell the Mrs.

Any questionable wood I just take from outside and put directly into the stove.

Fortunitly the wood in question is dry and burns very hot. I have started bringing in a few splits each morning to start the fire with.

I store it under cover away from the house until any punk is dry. If it keeps getting damp it never gets the chance. Crawlies don't seem to have much use for it once its dry.

It is at then back fence away from the house.

I store one skid beside the house when snow starts falling. Everything is covered.

Burn em up.

Outside, Jatoxico has the right idea.

Beyond that, bugs inside are an inevitable byproduct of heating with wood. Actually, no way to avoid insect squatters even without bringing them inside with the wood.

Dont tell the Mrs.

I hope the termites have not spread from the wood pile as I have some nice trees out back.....

I hope the termites have not spread from the wood pile as I have some nice trees out back.....

I’ve lost the six or ten trees that surround my wood storage area. This particular location was used by the prior owner, so infestation may have started earlier, but it does appear to have accelerated once I started bringing in foreign wood ten cords at a time.

I started treating my ash with Safari basil trunk spray, once I realized the ash closest to my wood stacks was in decline. It was too late to save that tree, but I may have saved a dozen others on the property. I have one very large silver maple that is suffering from any infestation, but have not started treating it. Our newest threat, of which I’m seeing several per day in recent weeks, is Spotted Lantern Fly. No treatments yet known.

I think some infestation is inevitable, if you collect wood, it just becomes a matter of management. Not so much termites, as many other borers and carpenter ant colonies.

Termites are not usually moved in wood, as the colony is usually in the ground, and only workers go up for wood. Most say that any transported workers will soon die, once separated from the colony. I’ve been told by one pest control guy that transported workers can exhibit sex change, and start a new colony, but do not know if this is true.

I’ve lost the six or ten trees that surround my wood storage area. This particular location was used by the prior owner, so infestation may have started earlier, but it does appear to have accelerated once I started bringing in foreign wood ten cords at a time.

I started treating my ash with Safari basil trunk spray, once I realized the ash closest to my wood stacks was in decline. It was too late to save that tree, but I may have saved a dozen others on the property. I have one very large silver maple that is suffering from any infestation, but have not started treating it. Our newest threat, of which I’m seeing several per day in recent weeks, is Spotted Lantern Fly. No treatments yet known.

I think some infestation is inevitable, if you collect wood, it just becomes a matter of management. Not so much termites, as many other borers and carpenter ant colonies.

Termites are not usually moved in wood, as the colony is usually in the ground, and only workers go up for wood. Most say that any transported workers will soon die, once separated from the colony. I’ve been told by one pest control guy that transported workers can exhibit sex change, and start a new colony, but do not know if this is true.

Thank you.

I think I'll be safe for the remainder of the year as they all lay dormant or die in the cold. Ill just throw the wood in with good wood and burn it up.

This summer I'll do as you mentioned and treat the surrounding area for the bugs.

Very informative post. Thank you

Thank you.

I think I'll be safe for the remainder of the year as they all lay dormant or die in the cold. Ill just throw the wood in with good wood and burn it up.

This summer I'll do as you mentioned and treat the surrounding area for the bugs.

Very informative post. Thank you
Sounds like a plan. Just check your local pesticide laws. In some areas, they not only control application method, but which bugs you are permitted to target with a given 'cide. Generally, you want to find the most effective AI for the target pest, to minimize ground contamination.

Last edited:
Reactions: beermann