Building a boiler room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nporter

Nov 18, 2007
Midcoast Maine
I am trying to figure out if I might build a small addition to the house for a boiler instead of the basement.

It appears to have the benefits of no wood in the house and not having to go outside to tend the fire. No pipes to bury in ground and shorter runs. But my questions are: Do I need to deal with any code restrictions in an addition situation? I am thinking that I can run a stove pipe out the addition making sure that it is 10'+ away from the house but will that give sufficient draft for the boiler? Any need to plan for fresh air for the "boiler room"?

I am thinking Tarm but still looking for the $$. I noticed that EricV mentioned he has something like this. Are there others who have a house addition boiler room?

Insurance companies vary on what is considered detached from the main structure.

Combustion air is critical on any fossil fueled appliance. Better to bring in in from outdoors then the building.

I think a motorized damper system is best. It only allows cold air in when the unit is firing. I'd like to see sealed combustion kits for these appliances like many gas and oil boilers use.

I installed a fire sprinkler head above mine for additional piece of mind. It's connected to my main water source with a check valve. to prevent stagnant water from flowing back into the system.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.