Building a safe wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimN8er

Nov 23, 2008
Oshawa Ontario Canada
Hi People, Im new to the site and i have a question of my own..

I got a napoleon 1400 wood stove and will be placing it in the corner of my basement. i tore all the walls out and i am about to re build them using 2x4 metal studs with roxsul insulation (fire rated) and then finish with cement board so i can tile it.

Would this be good enough for clearance? the stove requires The manufacture claims i need six inches oc clearance from combustibles if i put it in the corner on a 45 deg angle and twelve inches if i put it in square,

I dont consider my wall a combustible and at the moment im seven inches away.

Its safe to say Im over code here?

Tim

Ontario Canada.

From what you've listed there are no combustibles involved. As long as there is no close by wood trim or paper insulation backing and the tiles are put up with thinset (not adhesive) you are good to go.

BeGreen said:
From what you've listed there are no combustibles involved. As long as there is no close by wood trim or paper insulation backing and the tiles are put up with thinset (not adhesive) you are good to go.

one wall is made of 2x4 and on the other side of it is a crawl space. I was just going put some safe n sound between the joice and screw the cement/heat shield to it. My distance is 8 inches from there to the studs and im allowed 6. here is a pic I put it togeather to get an idea before i pull it out and start my walls.

Attachments

• DSC00791.JPG
    DSC00791.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 246
The stove is connected with single wall pipe. That's the main clearance issue. In order to get the close clearances (6") it needs to be connected with double-wall pipe or the rear clearance distance is 12".

However the manual does allow reduction for proper NFPA 211 heat shielding. I see some shields on the floor. For them to work the shielding needs to be uninterrupted and without any gaps, even at the elbow. Also very important is the distance to the floor joists and the horizontal run going into the thimble. That needs to be greater than 18". If meeting clearances is a challenge, a ceiling heat shield may be required or maybe change the connector pipe to double-wall for its overall lower clearance requirements?

BeGreen said:
The stove is connected with single wall pipe. That's the main clearance issue. In order to get the close clearances (6") it needs to be connected with double-wall pipe or the rear clearance distance is 12".

However the manual does allow reduction for proper NFPA 211 heat shielding. I see some shields on the floor. For them to work the shielding needs to be uninterrupted and without any gaps, even at the elbow. Also very important is the distance to the floor joists and the horizontal run going into the thimble. That needs to be greater than 18". If meeting clearances is a challenge, a ceiling heat shield may be required or maybe change the connector pipe to double-wall for its overall lower clearance requirements?

yes I have 18" clearance to the joist. I will be running some steel channel and heat sheild wall board on the ceiling.

I liked the single wall pipe because it helps give off a little more heat. When I looked at the manual it shows that the edge of the stove needs to be 6 inches from the wall with single pipe and it looks like i have more than enough clearance from the pipe to all walls. keep in mind that the way the stove is sitting in the picture I will be having a wall come out from the block 4 inches made of steel studs and roxul insulation with heat board plus tile. I will be leaving 18" around the pipe going through the wall. so I will cement a tile to the the block that will match what i have on the wall with edge tile cemented on a 45 degree angle. I hope this is enough. IF you have a better idea id be glad to hear them. I just want to make sure the stove passes the wett certification required by my insurance company and further more. 110% safe to run,

Status
Not open for further replies.