Building a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
So after about 7 years of tarps I finally got started on an 18X24 woodshed this afternoon and I'm getting excited just thinking about not having to deal with tarps this winter. I have had the metal purchased for about six months and all of the rafters have been stacked in the garage for about three months also but I just got done with a side job design project for a small company and took the rest of that money to buy all my still needed materials. One of my best friends was nice enough to let me have his CAT 252 skidsteer for the weekend so that helped make diggin the holes an easy job. The skidsteer was great to have around today I got the propane tank moved as well as pushing a few trees over and putting in a culvert across one my creeks. After diggin the holes I got my strings up and concrete footers poured so I'll give it a day or so and then start setting posts this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 1,265
Keep the pics coming. I might be looking at building one of these things in the spring depending on how my wood accumulation is going.

That's a big 'un! Almost 10 cords with 4' rows. How high are you going with the stacks?

That's gonna be an industrial size wood shelter! Once you have a shelter you'll wonder how you ever got by without one! Keep us posted with the progress and good luck!

Ray

That is a sweet way to make holes.

That is really the way to go when you need a bunch of holes dug. I rented one in '07 to do the pole barn, and we did almost 20 holes in pretty short order 42" down. That was an 18" auger.
No way was I gonna be able to do that with a post hole digger.
certified, I'm curious too, how high are you going? That'll be a LARGE shed. :coolsmile:

Good luck on the shed certified. It won't be long until you will wonder how you got along without it.

I love these shed threads, gives me ideas on how to build mine someday. Look forward to the rest of the construction pics.

That equipment its time for a covered basketball court...lol

Great about time, keep us posted with pictures and you are going to love it, last year was my first with a woodshed it's awsome.

Woody Stover said:
That's a big 'un! Almost 10 cords with 4' rows. How high are you going with the stacks?

You know I haven't really thought that far ahead, lol I was only going to make it a shed big enough to hold 3-4 cord but when I priced everything out it was way more ecinomical to go as big as I could with the way I am building it. The lumber prices were not much more than the small one I was going to build the real extra cost came with the metal roofing. I was thinking about building racks inside that are about 5 foot high.

raybonz said:
That's gonna be an industrial size wood shelter! Once you have a shelter you'll wonder how you ever got by without one! Keep us posted with the progress and good luck!

Ray

Yeah I actually think I'm gonna use half for wood and the other half will house the tractor, bush hog, and splitter. I can't wait to get this thing under roof but with my work schedule and only having evenings to work on it who knows when I'll get it done 2-3 weeks?

SolarAndWood said:
That is a sweet way to make holes.

Yes it is, half the holes I dug were through a ton of tree roots and that thing would rip through 3-4" roots with no problem. There were neighbors with 3 pt hitch PH diggers but I have used them enough to know they wouldn't have stood a chance without that down pressure hyrdraulic system.

I was hoping to get more done today but it keeps pouring off and on so I just went and picked up the rest of the lumber and did some more skidsteer work leveling some things and moving some brush piles. I wish I had one it's incredible what you can acomplish in mere minutes with this thing!

Papa Dave: The shed will be 13' high on the garage side and 8' to the bottom of the header on the opposite side.

I started my shed today. When my buddy showed up to help out he was very disappointed that I didn't rent a skidsteer like yours. Several ours later we got 8 holes done. Glad I didn't attempt to do these by hand!

15 years ago we built a small barn(20X30). I hired a guy to frame it up. He dug ALL the holes(including the fence lines that run about 1000' total) by hand!!!! We have a lot of rock around here but it didn't seem to bother him.

When I started reading, 18 X 24 ;;; i :bug:
Now that I know it's a man's toy box too, Great deal.
I agree, more pictures, I love seeing these projects as they get built.
Good for you, you'll love it.

You're sure to be happy with that!!! The post hole digger on the skid steer is the only way to go. I rented one when I put my pasture fence in and it sure was handy.

Billy

certified106 said:
So after about 7 years of tarps I finally got started on an 18X24 woodshed this afternoon and I'm getting excited just thinking about not having to deal with tarps this winter. I have had the metal purchased for about six months and all of the rafters have been stacked in the garage for about three months also but I just got done with a side job design project for a small company and took the rest of that money to buy all my still needed materials. One of my best friends was nice enough to let me have his CAT 252 skidsteer for the weekend so that helped make diggin the holes an easy job. The skidsteer was great to have around today I got the propane tank moved as well as pushing a few trees over and putting in a culvert across one my creeks. After diggin the holes I got my strings up and concrete footers poured so I'll give it a day or so and then start setting posts this week.

certified106; nice start on the woodshed. Can you tell your friend we will be starting ours this coming spring and that would come in handy! :vampire:

zap

zapny said:
certified106 said:

certified106; nice start on the woodshed. Can you tell your friend we will be starting ours this coming spring and that would come in handy! :vampire:

zap

Pic #4 is your friend! :lol:

certified106 said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Yeah I actually think I'm gonna use half for wood and the other half will house the tractor, bush hog, and splitter. I can't wait to get this thing under roof but with my work schedule and only having evenings to work on it who knows when I'll get it done 2-3 weeks?

Don't sweat it. I got started on mine the end of March, and didn't really finish getting it sided until sometime in June... I think. Lots of other stuff going on at the time, so I know how that goes.
You'll git 'er done! :coolsmile:

There's no big rush is there? I think there is at least 2 more months to go before I'll be concerned about bringing in the wood. I just got my post holes dug and as much as I would like to have it done soon I'm fairly sure it will be 4 to 6 weeks.....possibly more depending on weather. 2 to 3 weeks for that project would be doing great!

Ah, it makes sense if this woodshed will do double duty with storage . . . as it is I consider my woodshed at something like 12 x 20 feet to be a fairly decent sized woodshed as it holds two plus years of wood in it at any one time . . . but if you're going with a woodshed/storage shed it makes a lot more sense.

Had to shop vac all the water out of the holes and clean all the frogs out I couldn't believe it but there were 6 frogs in one hole. Got the two corner posts set, squared and tamped in just as the sun was setting. At least those were the two hardest posts and the other ones will set quicker. I haven't decided yet if I will put the post on the side in yet though since they aren't structural and it might be easier to put them in after the first rafter is up.

Attachments

• 2011-08-22_20-18-45_198.jpg
    2011-08-22_20-18-45_198.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 657
muncybob said:
There's no big rush is there? I think there is at least 2 more months to go before I'll be concerned about bringing in the wood. I just got my post holes dug and as much as I would like to have it done soon I'm fairly sure it will be 4 to 6 weeks.....possibly more depending on weather. 2 to 3 weeks for that project would be doing great!

I know I have some time to make it happen but my problem is my list of other stuff I need to get done keeps growing :)
As soon as I get the roof on the shed I will be working on putting in a wood door so I don't have to carry firewood through the house anymore.

How did you set the posts? I'm planning to put a base of 6" or so stone in the bottom of the hole, set the post in and add some more stone about 4" or so...then add dirt and begin tamping. Even though the PT posts are ground contact rated I thought this would help to drain water away from the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.