Building a woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
It looks like I don't have sufficient privileges to post in the Show us your Woodshed thread so I'm posting here. All my other racks are made of metal pipes so I decided to build one proper woodshed. Got the frame up this morning but still need to add the roof and floorboards and add a coat of stain. Not sure if I want add slats to the back and sides or not. Any thoughts?
image-X2.jpg

Looks great. Good thinking with the vapor barrier on the floor. If it was mine I'd put some side slats for sure so the wood has something to lean against.

I see all these nice sheds and figure one of these days I'm going to build one... Just not yet. What was the approximate cost do you figure?

I think it was just over $300 for everything. It's 4 meters long, 2 meters high and about 1 meter deep (two rows).

Reactions: MrsD
my wife and I built one basically the same, took maybe two weekends.' its about 10ft long, 8 high (in front) and 4 ft deep

IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0641.JPG

Reactions: English BoB
I finally got a chance to work on the woodshed again today and finished it. Attached are a few shots including one from in my living room to give a sense of the proximity to the house. Unfortunately the front door is at the other end of house... but the yard area closest to the front door is already completely full of stacked wood in racks made of metal pipes.
DSC05404.jpg
DSC05406.jpg
DSC05407.jpg
DSC05408.jpg

Very cool. Could the anywhere in the US with that view. When I think of Japan, I don't think of countryside...but I have never been.

Nice little shed , nice view out the window, how many stoves do you run?
The land looks like it does here in Virgina.

I'm just running the one Napoleon 1400 here. But it goes 24/7 from Dec. thru March or April and also gets used quite a bit in the shoulder seasons. July and August are the only months we don't burn.

As for mountains in Japan, contrary to popular images, 85% of Japan is rugged mountains that are almost uninhabited. Something like 90% of the population lives in 15% of the land, thus making Japan known for overcrowding. We are situated in a large crater on top of Mt. Akagi at about 1350 meters (4500 ft.) with several peaks around us that go up to 1800 meters (6000 ft.). It's a wonderful place to live and fall colors have really come on strong this week!

Looking through this thread, a thought comes to mind.

How much of your wood supply goes into these? Unless my new epa stove cuts my wood consumption a great deal over my early 80's wood/coal stove, I would need to fill at least 3 of the woodsheds posted here to get me through a winter.

I understand that every situation is unique, but if this is a full winter's supply for some folks, well, it helps me understand the size of some operations I read about here.

This woodshed will hold just over 2 cords. I already have 5 or 6 cords of split and stacked wood but I'm finding that much of my wood needs more than a year on the rack to really get dry so I'm just trying to work ahead.

Nice woodshed. The shed I have closest to my house will hold almost two months worth of wood. I keep another month on the porch and bring one weeks worth into the house each Sunday.

This woodshed will hold just over 2 cords. I already have 5 or 6 cords of split and stacked wood but I'm finding that much of my wood needs more than a year on the rack to really get dry so I'm just trying to work ahead.

Thanks. I was merely curious.

I'm finding the same thing about wood drying with my first few fires in my new stove (Englander 30nc). I did some calculations based upon volume, and came up with the figure that my shed presently has about 15 cords in it. The conditions there are not ideal: closed sides. My wife does not like the idea of ripping the sides off (says it will look bad).

This thread did give me an idea though. I could build a unit or two like you did and locate them in an out of the way place on blocks or rocks to enable faster dry times and get far enough ahead to give my less than optimally stored wood time to fully dry out. When I first moved in, some ash had spent 2 full summers in the shed I have and was bone dry. It's mostly ash in there now, but it could use another summer of drying.

Thanks. I was merely curious.

I'm finding the same thing about wood drying with my first few fires in my new stove (Englander 30nc). I did some calculations based upon volume, and came up with the figure that my shed presently has about 15 cords in it. The conditions there are not ideal: closed sides. My wife does not like the idea of ripping the sides off (says it will look bad).

This thread did give me an idea though. I could build a unit or two like you did and locate them in an out of the way place on blocks or rocks to enable faster dry times and get far enough ahead to give my less than optimally stored wood time to fully dry out. When I first moved in, some ash had spent 2 full summers in the shed I have and was bone dry. It's mostly ash in there now, but it could use another summer of drying.
15 cords in your shed I would like to see what that looks like.
20161002_125400.jpg
I am not sure how much I have here but I would love to have a shed to hold 4 times this pile.

15 cords in your shed I would like to see what that looks like.
View attachment 186096
I am not sure how much I have here but I would love to have a shed to hold 4 times this pile.

Off to the right of the pic is a mid sized new Holland tractor (Ford 2120) to give you some idea of depth. The stacks are up against the roof the whole way back. Stacking it that high was what the cement blocks were for. Im basing this off of the figure of 1 cord of wood takes up 128 cubic feet of space.

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_135250799_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160410_135250799_HDR.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.