Building hearth this weekend . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
Greetings;

I have a VC Resolute Acclaim 2490 and will be building my hearth this weekend. Have done lots of reading here - generally finding that the hearth should meet an R value of 2. But . . . the manual for my stove indicates that with the bottom heat shield attached (which I have) "use a non-combustible floor protector such as 1/4" non-asbestos mineral board or equiv, or 24 ga sheet metal." a measly 1/4" mineral board is a long way from a R-2 value! The legs of the stove are 6" - if that matters.

Do I really need to build this R-2 hearth?? If so, I was reading on another thread that 5 layers of 1/2" durock (r=0.39) should get me darn close. Do I need to build that frame I've seen on other threads/sites? couldn't I just stack 5 sheets of durock and frame that (outside only)?

Will probably tile the top/sides of hearth.

thanks

Kelly

With the heat shield installed all that is needed is ember protection. Tile on cement board is sufficient.

From the manual:
Even when the bottom heat shield is installed, you must provide special protection to the floor beneath. For installations with the heat shield attached, use a noncombustible floor protector such as 1/4” non-asbestos mineral board or equivalent, or 24 gauge sheet metal. The floor protector may be covered with a noncombustible decorative material if desired. Do not obstruct the space under the heater.