building my own hearth pad--question about using marble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

krondalou

Sep 17, 2019
Grass Lake, MI
I have 1" thick marble slabs 9.5" wide and 48" long---My hearth pad is cut to 30"x48", and am going to cut the marble accordingly. Question is about what size trowel notches should I use/how thick should my thinset be? And any good reason not to use marble? Also, should I reinforce the subfloor from the crawl space? I put 1/4" cement board on the 1/2" plywood subfloor. My stove is 310 pounds.

Attachments

• marble slabs-nearly 1%22 thick.jpg
    marble slabs-nearly 1%22 thick.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Zack R
I have 1" thick marble slabs 9.5" wide and 48" long---My hearth pad is cut to 30"x48", and am going to cut the marble accordingly. Question is about what size trowel notches should I use/how thick should my thinset be? And any good reason not to use marble? Also, should I reinforce the subfloor from the crawl space? I put 1/4" cement board on the 1/2" plywood subfloor. My stove is 310 pounds.
What insulation value is required by your stove?

Reactions: Zack R
The hearth construction sounds similar to what is recommended for the Survival Navaho model. Is that what you are following?

I'd start by looking at the stove requirements (in the installation manual) and then working backward from there.