1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Building stairs!

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by FatttFire, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatttFire

FatttFire Member

Loc:
    Snowbelt, Ohio
    Alright I am stuck .................. brain fart as I call it! I need to install new stairs in a down stairs bathroom that I made. From the floor of the hall way to the floor of the bathroom is 27 3/4" . Here is the tricky part. There is a door right there where the bathroom stairs go. So from the wall of the bathroom to the edge of the door minus 1" is 21". So in all terms I have a rise of 27 3/4" by 21" of run. I am not looking for code is practicality. Can anybody give me a hand?

thanks,

Jason

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a mighty shallow step, though I came up with the same calc.
  3. Ncountry

Ncountry Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    Using a tape measure your rise is 6 15/16" and a run of 7" . Maybe the stairs could go to the inside of the wall and you could gain another 4" or so giving you a longer run of around 8" to 8 1/4" . You could then use a 2'x10"(1 1/2x9 1/4") for the treads giving you a 1" overhang or nose.
  4. FatttFire

FatttFire Member

Loc:
    Snowbelt, Ohio
    sawdust burners, what do I use for my stringer, and what are the cuts on the stringer?
  5. FatttFire

FatttFire Member

Loc:
    Snowbelt, Ohio
    Alright so what depths do I set my square at to cut the notches?
  6. the_dude

the_dude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern WI
  7. Ncountry

Ncountry Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    [quote ]
    Couldn't he start with a drop to the first step? You should only need 3 steps--from hallway step down to first step (6.9" rise), to second step (6.9" rise), to third step (6.9" rise), to bathroom floor (6.9" rise). With three steps, you would have 7" treads, which you could rip a 2x8. If you want to notch, you can lay a carpenter's square on your stringer, lining up the rise on run on the stringer edge. Trace the square and you should be good to go.[/quote]

Yeap you got it. 6 15/16" rise and a run of 7" (use these two numbers on the framing square). I would use a 2"x10" for the stringer .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.