Building stairs!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Alright I am stuck .................. brain fart as I call it! I need to install new stairs in a down stairs bathroom that I made. From the floor of the hall way to the floor of the bathroom is 27 3/4" . Here is the tricky part. There is a door right there where the bathroom stairs go. So from the wall of the bathroom to the edge of the door minus 1" is 21". So in all terms I have a rise of 27 3/4" by 21" of run. I am not looking for code is practicality. Can anybody give me a hand?

thanks,

Jason

That's a mighty shallow step, though I came up with the same calc.

Using a tape measure your rise is 6 15/16" and a run of 7" . Maybe the stairs could go to the inside of the wall and you could gain another 4" or so giving you a longer run of around 8" to 8 1/4" . You could then use a 2'x10"(1 1/2x9 1/4") for the treads giving you a 1" overhang or nose.

sawdust burners, what do I use for my stringer, and what are the cuts on the stringer?

Alright so what depths do I set my square at to cut the notches?

sawdustburners said:
FatttFire said:
Alright I am stuck .................. brain fart as I call it! I need to install new stairs in a down stairs bathroom that I made. From the floor of the hall way to the floor of the bathroom is 27 3/4" . Here is the tricky part. There is a door right there where the bathroom stairs go. So from the wall of the bathroom to the edge of the door minus 1" is 21". So in all terms I have a rise of 27 3/4" by 21" of run. I am not looking for code is practicality. Can anybody give me a hand?

thanks,

use 2 x6 for steps. 5.5 x 4 = 22". can rip 1/4" off each step with tablesaw or 1" off top step level with floor
rise will be 6.875"

Couldn't he start with a drop to the first step? You should only need 3 steps--from hallway step down to first step (6.9" rise), to second step (6.9" rise), to third step (6.9" rise), to bathroom floor (6.9" rise). With three steps, you would have 7" treads, which you could rip a 2x8. If you want to notch, you can lay a carpenter's square on your stringer, lining up the rise on run on the stringer edge. Trace the square and you should be good to go.

[quote ]
Couldn't he start with a drop to the first step? You should only need 3 steps--from hallway step down to first step (6.9" rise), to second step (6.9" rise), to third step (6.9" rise), to bathroom floor (6.9" rise). With three steps, you would have 7" treads, which you could rip a 2x8. If you want to notch, you can lay a carpenter's square on your stringer, lining up the rise on run on the stringer edge. Trace the square and you should be good to go.[/quote]

Yeap you got it. 6 15/16" rise and a run of 7" (use these two numbers on the framing square). I would use a 2"x10" for the stringer .

Status
Not open for further replies.