Building your own ceiling box from scratch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
15 years ago, yes I did. The bad thing is I have forgotten a lot of what I learned back then.
With a lot of research ,copied a Simpson, square box ., It included, sheet metal, pipe, spacers, cutting, bending, pop rivets, framing in, etc. chimney was class a.Simpson,, SW stove Pipe
This was not a government job :) was it safe, yes I do believe so, the bad thing is, I was not as smart as I thought, cuz , I installed a boxwood stove.The ceiling box is still solid.
No cell phones or pics back then ;lol

How did you attach the chimney pipe to the box, the boughten ones the pipe twists in, I assume that would be hard to make.

When I put my SS chimney in, I first laid out the size hole I would need in the Drywall. Luckily it was between my rafters. Then I secured 2x material perpendicular to my rafters and then completed my box by inserting and securing 2xs on the open sides of the hole I cut. The trim plate/support for the chimney was screwed and nailed into this frame. It really was more complicated to line up the hole in the roof and that wasn't too bad.

Matt

How did you attach the chimney pipe to the box, the boughten ones the pipe twists in, I assume that would be hard to make.

Gravity holds mine In. Metalbest must be different

As long as the pipe is Selkirk/supervent/TLC/Metalbestos, the pipe slips through the ceiling box and is suspended with the use of a clamp. I'm not familiar with a simpson box that is made this way, but maybe an older one was.?

I asked because if I remember right on my dura vent the stove pipe twisted in on the bottom and the class a twisted in on the top.

I asked because if I remember right on my dura vent the stove pipe twisted in on the bottom and the class a twisted in on the top.

Thats right. The chimney locks into the box, and the stovepipe attaches to an adapter on the bottom side. On the Selkirk, the pipe comes all the way through and the adapter attaches right to the chimney, out in the open. I like it because there is no assumptions to be made, you can see the connection.

So I never got an answer on the home made one from HD, thats why I asked.

I used DuraPlus chimney,it is a nice tight fit onto the piece of pipe I used and is held down by gravity , then a piece coming down to screw the stove pipe to

Status
Not open for further replies.