Do i have the wrong ceiling support box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emcole

Dec 10, 2020
Northern Kentucky
Good afternoon. I just came across your web sight this week and found it super helpful.

So I have a wood stove, it was installed previously before I was in the house. It is leaking creosote out of the ceiling support box where the single wall stove pipe goes up and connects in the ceiling support box. The stove pipe is male, going into the female support box end. In the box there is a short twist on triple walled adapter that is tack welded and riveted to the box. Above that it is a triple walled stainless steel pipe going out the roof. Is it normal to sell a ceiling support box with a female inside end for a wood stove application?
From everything that I have read on the forums, which have been very helpful, this connection should be a male end going down to avoid just this thing with creosote leaking. What am I missing here?

Here's wondering

EM

The stovepipe should have the male end facing the stove. Not sure without seeing it, but this sounds like it may be DuraPlus chimney. If so, there is an adapter that connects the stove pipe. Are there any identifying labels on the chimney pipe?

Begreen, that is the conclusion that i have come to from reading the thread "Creosote running down outside of pipe, inside of house." Very helpful, by the way, yourself and others posted numerous explanations about the direction of the stove pipe. After reading that I took a look the the support box.

There are no identifying labels on the box, pipe, nor triple walled stainless steel pipe going out the roof.

Here are those pictures that you asked for. In the second picture you can see that male stove pipe end going into the female ceiling support box. As you had said it should be a male end going down from it, toward the stove. Why would the adapter peice, which is permanantly secured to the support box, have a female end? The last picture is the view from on top of the roof looking into the support box, where the short twist on connector can be seen. What's is my problem?
20201210_160827_resized.jpg
20201210_160813_resized.jpg
20201210_133101.jpg
20201210_131802_resized.jpg

The adapter part get the female end on the outside of the of that snap ring adapter that installed within the connection to the class a termination

Begreen, that is the conclusion that i have come to from reading the thread "Creosote running down outside of pipe, inside of house." Very helpful, by the way, yourself and others posted numerous explanations about the direction of the stove pipe. After reading that I took a look the the support box.

There are no identifying labels on the box, pipe, nor triple walled stainless steel pipe going out the roof.

Here are those pictures that you asked for. In the second picture you can see that male stove pipe end going into the female ceiling support box. As you had said it should be a male end going down from it, toward the stove. Why would the adapter peice, which is permanantly secured to the support box, have a female end? The last picture is the view from on top of the roof looking into the support box, where the short twist on connector can be seen. What's is my problem?
View attachment 268987 View attachment 268988 View attachment 268989View attachment 268990
Your pipe is upside down for sure. You need to clean all the crap out of the support box and then install an insulation shield to keep more crap out.

I am also pretty sure your stove has some clearance issues

View attachment 268987 View attachment 268988 View attachment 268989View attachment 268990
The adapter is male to male.

BHoller thank you for the good idea on the insulation and i cleaned the crap out as you suggested. And yes i'm certain you are right about the clearance issues, its not a good setup. But, thankfully, we haven't burn it down yet.

Begreen i did find out it is definitely DuraPlus ceiling support, that was a helpful clue. It took me awhile to find the adapter because i am not familiar with these things. And i just couldn't secure the adjustable adapter sleeve into the stove pipe bellow, as Kennyp2339 recommended.

So what i did in the mean time to make it a male down connection at the support box was, widen the female end of a new piece of stove pipe on an anvil. It fit nicely on the outside of the DuraPlus ceiling support box. And now, no more creosote on the pipe from the support box connection.

Merry Christmas! happy new year! And thanks for your help! but i still wonder why the box was made that way? It must be a mystery.

BHoller thank you for the good idea on the insulation and i cleaned the crap out as you suggested. And yes i'm certain you are right about the clearance issues, its not a good setup. But, thankfully, we haven't burn it down yet.

Begreen i did find out it is definitely DuraPlus ceiling support, that was a helpful clue. It took me awhile to find the adapter because i am not familiar with these things. And i just couldn't secure the adjustable adapter sleeve into the stove pipe bellow, as Kennyp2339 recommended.

So what i did in the mean time to make it a male down connection at the support box was, widen the female end of a new piece of stove pipe on an anvil. It fit nicely on the outside of the DuraPlus ceiling support box. And now, no more creosote on the pipe from the support box connection.

Merry Christmas! happy new year! And thanks for your help! but i still wonder why the box was made that way? It must be a mystery.
Insulation shield not insulation.