Burn issues with Whitfield Advantage Plus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cpenn0917

Jan 7, 2017
Kansas
Hello folks!
I'm new to pellet stoves and just bought a used a Whitfield Advantage Plus to hear my shop. I've been experimenting for a month or so now and cannot seem to get the stove set right to burn well at both higher and lower settings. I have adjusted the flu and the combustion air. Once I find a good setting that burns well on low, it builds up ash and pellets in the burn pot when I turn it to high. Right now the flu is a bit more open than where it was set when I bought it and the combustion air is just barely more than factory setting. Burn real well up to about heat level 2, but on 4 it builds ash in the pot and eventually backs up into the pellet chute toward the auger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

do a leaf blower treatment. make sure to leave the door open. there is a recent thread that shows you how to hook the suction side of leaf blower to the outside exhaust pipe. Probably has some blockage in the stove that is restricting air flow

have sliding rod all the way open for max air flow

You need to adjust the combustion air damper in relation to the different pellet feed rates.

You can adjust the feed rate on the controller if it's feeding too fast.

Have you checked or changed the door gaskets? Fighting leaks on ancient stoves can be leading problem on trying to get a tune on the burn.