Burn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJ

Feb 27, 2010
MN
Hey folks, My new Hearthstone Heritage owners manual indicates that a hot fire will burn off the residue left on the window. Well I have yet to see it, particularily in the lower left and right corners of the winow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. PeterJ.

A good hot burn will do most of the heavy lifting but it still takes a tad of elbow grease to make it clean clean. In the morning when the stove is coolest we use bottled water and a paper towel to wipe the glass clean...always wear leather gloves when you do this. Our well water has minerals in it that's why we use bottled water. 2 minutes or less and you're done.

Wet a paper towel, dip it in some of the cooler ashes & wipe the glass...
Works like a charm.
I also use a piece of crumpled up newspaper. Don't even hafta dampen it.
That works pretty good too.
Wear a leather glove - either way - & ya don't even hafta let the glass cool...

The question is, how hot have the fires been and maybe what is the dryness of the wood? If the wood is damp inside the fire will not get that hot. This can lead to smoking up the glass. Is there a thermometer on the stove?

BeGreen said:
The question is, how hot have the fires been and maybe what is the dryness of the wood? If the wood is damp inside the fire will not get that hot. This can lead to smoking up the glass. Is there a thermometer on the stove?

Times 2 as the above. Wet wood so temps are not up.

It's also true that an air leak will cause the glass to smoke up in some cases. If you have staining in the same spot it might be time to do the dollar bill test. The door gasket and glass gasket should be checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.