Burn oil or burn less than seasoned wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Sep 8, 2008
CT
I wrote a thread a week or two ago about how some of my outdoor pile had snow and ice mixed in. Well, after getting this stuff dried off it still burns less than ideal. I had a total of 4 cords for this winter. The first two cords that I had delivered burned like they were rolled up newspaper. I threw them on the coals and they were roaring in second. Great burn. Great coals. Temp on the stove was 550-650 just about all day.

This other 2-cord delivery is not seasoned in my opinion. I throw a few splits on. It takes awhile for them to get going. They usually really crash the temp of the firebox, so much so that the automatic blower shuts off for 10 minutes or so, then comes back on. They do - eventually - get going good, but with far less "gusto" than my good, seasoned pile did. Having said all of this, I don't notice any black soot on the glass at all - it is still very clean every morning, and there is still no smoke coming from the chimney. Just that the wood does not burn as well as what I was used to.

So, my question is should I keep burning or call it a year? If this is a real safety issue, I will happily stop burning and rely on oil for rest of winter. Thoughts?

Pull some in the house and hopefully the fire will dry it some. If its really wet get some oak pallets and mix it in. More importantly start on next years wood 2 months ago!!!! Everyone goes thru it at some point, this is just your turn. Good luck!

Thanks. I have pulled some into the house. Even burned some today that was in the house beside the stove for 3 days. Still burned less than my real seasoned stuff did.

You're right about getting started on next years pile. I'm anxious to do that as soon as we have a break in this cold. At least I should expect that my remaining two cords - should I avoid burning them, which I would hate to do - will likely be great to start off next winter with.

Try to find some pallets- I turned the furnace down from 63 to 60 this morning-made a fire at around 9 am, and have kept the hoouse at 73 all day just burning pallets.
I'll load it up with splits at 9 pm, at 3 or 4 am teh furnace will come on, and at 9 am, more pallets.
btw, here in nj, it made it to 23 degrees today.

Scrounge what ya can. In the meantime, burn the oil. Me thinks it is only gonna be cheap up till about 2011?

That gives you lots of time to really get ahead on your wood supply ;-)

burn the oil so you can get ahead for next year

iceman said:
burn the oil so you can get ahead for next year

Yeah. Thanks all. That seems to be the consensus...

Major bummer too, but I think it is the right thing to do. I just opened up my stove, ready to reload for overnight, and although the last load burned pretty good, there just aren't any coals in there compared to what I'm used to, and 1 of the 3 splits that I burned still has its core shape and is just kind of black. Well, I guess I was lucky that I had 2 cords of good seasoned wood to get me this far....

It truly does bum me out though. I took the last few days off while I debated this, and running oil just isn't the same, at least for me. I know there are those on here that say they would just burn oil if it was free, but, man, there is just something about wood heat that connects with me. The kids too. My house is not the same without the stove running.

Ah well. Live and learn. It was an exciting first year burning indoors, and this was a great lesson learned. I'll be sure to have what I need each season from here on out....

I'm a n00b and I just had my first ever "cord' of wood delivered. (I think it was more like a half cord since the pickup they bought the wood with was only filled to the top of the bed, no higher. Is was however stacked neatly, so I assume it’s a "face cord" or half cord.)

I'm concerned about my glass turning black on the used "Vermont Stove Company" "Shelburne" I bought locally and inexpensively. It sounds to me like my wood is not as seasoned as the dudes claimed it really is. The wood has gotten wet with recent rain, but my understanding is that it's not the moisture, but the sap that creates the creosote. Is that right?

Two nights ago, after first installing, I burnt one piece of seasoned hardwood, and two rotted logs that gave me about five hours of heat (no coals in the morning obviously, just ash). I did not notice any creosote or blackness on the door glass.

Today, I had wood delivered around 10 am, and was burning by 10:30. Now, ten hours later, after running a hot fire all day my doors are all black, with a buildup that looks like it will take some work to remove, with the exception of the middle bottom of the stove (where I guess there's not much fire, and maybe some fresh air seeping in too). I've been running it with the damper mostly closed, and let the air intake close itself when the stove got hot. I don't know the temperature, but I know I can't keep my hand 3 inches from the fan exhast for more than 30 seconds without feeling like my hand is going to burn. I'm assuming that I'm burning hot enough, and that the way to keep it hot is to have a controlled burn as opposed to raging flames with lots of air both coming in and going out the chimney.

I'm concerned about a few things as far as safety, and have to admit I don't understand the dangers of a chimney fire.

The good thing is that I had a chimney sweep out to my house and he recommended I get an insert if I wanted to get heat out of my fireplace. He said my chimney was very clean (probably did not need cleaning), but I should have him out once per year. He also said I need not worry about connecting my insert to the first section of chimney liner (old square type, no stainless liner because I've got a 50 foot chimney and a 12/10 pitch slate roof on this Tudor I just bought).

I have however read that the cooling of the exhaust in the firebox (when using no liner) will lead to additional creosote buildup (I guess slower airflow means more time for particles to bond to wall, eh?)

Seems to me, from reading this thread, that I should think twice before burning more of this wood. Correct?

Do I do the same and keep this wood for next year?

I'll need to shut down this stove some time for a few reasons:
- Need to clean the glass now (anybody recommend a glass cleaner product? Or a place I can get a thermometer, glass cleaner, and other stuff I’ll need too?)
- want to see if i can get a quieter fan, love the looks of the thing, but not the noise
- Maybe I need to install a connection, at least to the first section of clay liner
- Sounds like I should inspect for creosote

Please let me know if you think I should stop burning and find seasoned wood... and how to check if the wood is REALLY seasoned. I guess I'm just assuming the stuff I have is not properly seasoned, or maybe the wetness is causing my problems, and I just need to bring some wood inside to dry out.)

THANKS!

mnowaczyk said:
I'm a n00b and I just had my first ever "cord' of wood delivered . . .

Mnowacyzk . . . I know your intentions are good, but you have hijacked this thread. Bringing up an entirely different (or vaguely related) subject in another persons thread isn't good form. I know, it's picky. What you should do is post this as a thread topic on it's own and you will get lots of great advice.

Just a couple of things to try and help . . . if it came in a pickup it was probably not a cord. Never, ever believed wood is "seasoned" unless you watched it sit for a year. Dirty glass can mean many things--including a leak. You can test wood for dryness w/ a moisture meter or he good old fashion "clunk" test. If you whap two splits together they will sound like a bat on ball if they are dry. "Checks" are a good sign of dryness, as is a "grey" color, and total absence of smell. Err on the side of caution my friend. All the best!

another idea is find some other means of wood that is definitly dry and seasoned and mix it with what you have
creosote is caused by burning green wood

Thanks Lexybird and badger1968. Based on what you fellas hove told me, the wood is dry and seasoned. I'm wondering what's causing the black soot on the glass. A leak? I better read some more posts.

Interesting that it seems to be clearing off when a hot flame is near the glass. The stove has Andirons, and the right side currently appears mostly clear with the exception of right in front of the andiron. I guess the heat isn't getting to the glass there.

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll look for other posts for the N00bs.

Yeah save it for next year...unless it's an emergency situation you never want to burn unseasoned wood like you have. Almost sounds green to me.

savageactor7 said:
Yeah save it for next year...unless it's an emergency situation you never want to burn unseasoned wood like you have. Almost sounds green to me.

I agree with this comment, though I too am new to indoor burning as of this year. I shut it down for the year simply because I could tell that the quality of my burn was nothing compared to the first 2-cord. I wasn't getting any buildup in my insert or on my glass at all, and I still had a smoke-free chimney stack. My guess is that my wood is nearly there, but not quite. Thick, black build-up as fast as you're getting it sounds like green wood to me too (but what do I know?). Since it is already stacked for you, let it sit in the elements until next year and hopefully you'll have a nice head start for next year.

And PS: one thing to help you confirm if it is indeed the wood is to pick up some of the kiln dried stuff you see sitting outside your grocery store. You'll probably pay like $15 bucks for three bundles, but that will get you a good enough burn to test things. Get the fire going with some good, dry kindling and then burn the kiln dried stuff. If you still get the build-up your discussing, then maybe it is a leak or something else. If you don't and your glass is clear and there's no smoke coming from out the stack, then it is a good guess that it is your wood.

Chutes, you have company - my situation is exactly like your situation. The last "seasoned" cord that was delivered to me was less than perfectly seasoned. So, I've stopped burning wood for this season to save the same wood for next season. Also since oil is relatively cheaper ($2.19), I'm taking a break from wood burning. I've also ordered and got delivered 3 cords of green wood (green wood is cheaper - total $300 - yes, I tipped him a $20) which was just split. I hope this 3 cord will get seasoned enough by Nov 09. The good thing is that the splits in the delivered cords are small - so, in my opinion it would season fast.

Chutes, I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm down to a couple wheelbarrows full of seasoned pine and a face cord of 8 or 9 month seasoned oak. I've been trying to mix the two for the last few weeks to try to extend my burning season, but I'm almost out of the dry pine. One thing you could do is split your remaining stuff down real small, stack it loose, and use some of it for "quality" time like in the evenings. I know what you mean, not being able to have a fire is a lonely feeling.

That said, start getting ahead for next year! I'm making sure I don't run out again.....

keep in mind wood that is cut too long and right up close against the glass can cause it to soot up and get black.. even if it is dry and seasoned good

I agree with Iceman. We are pretty much on the slide to spring burn the oil. Oil prices arent that bad really. I have been lettign the stove burn out and only having fires when we are actually home

Status
Not open for further replies.