Burn Pattern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I have my second sustained fire going in my Englander 30NC. After watching it fire for about 11+ hours now I have noticed that the fire, unless the stove is opened up full tilt, seems to be skewed to the right.
I broke it in gently and 15/16 of the paint smell is off now. When I back the primary down and it's cooking along anywhere between 350-500 degrees (still not going for broke) I notice that all of the flame is up the right side of the firebox.
Splits can be N/S or E/W and it's the same. When the first big flames die down most of the fire is going up the right side of the firebox. It seems odd...

I would guess it has something to do with the stack of wood. I seem to get left side burning more and this is my first season w a new 30 but I have had both sides and center at times. I am pretty certain once I get it stuffed with more symetrical splits it will be an even(or more even) fire. This is just speculation as I am certain more experienced 30 burners have better data.

Air leak?

I would say keep an eye on it since its only your second full burn, You will not always get even secondary flames across the stove but if it keeps only doing it in the right side then you might call Englander.

Englander has really good service department

Good point James02 and Mellow

Are the baffle boards in the right place? IIRC there is a small gap left that guys are covering up with piece of steel rod poked in a piece of 1/4" gasket.

I am on my first burn season with a 30, have burns on both sides. Still learning how to burn. First really cold night tonight and have no problem keeping the secondaries blazing. Wind howls enough to turn the flue damper down and air draw is much better. Being new here, i see that i have much to learn....

I would guess that is is the way the wood is stacked leading the flame to roll to one side of the firebox, but, that would be my guess. Try stacking the wood a bit so the "high" side is on the left and see if this forces the flame to the left side.

Only guessing here as I have not burned your stove model, but I find depending how I load the Jotul, the flame would be on the left, or on the right, or in the middle, or all across the load........

Different stove but mine will burn in different areas depending on how i load wood in.

Just keep your eye on it if it burns like that every time you may have a air leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.