Burn pot gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pell it

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Rhode Island
It dropped to the high teens here the other night. I had the stove on heat level three all night (@4lbs/hr ?) The next morning the flame had become lazy and the burnpot was beginning to fill up. I used the hopper switch to stop pellet feed and let the fire burn down a bit then opened the door to give the burnpot a quick stir. That helped some. I let her go for a few more hours until I couldn't take it any longer and shut her down for cleaning.

I had a good amount of build-up in the burnpot with some green color mixed in.

I noticed a gap in the burnpot gasket maybe 3/8 - 1/2" or so. Is it possible that as I get some build-up in the pot this gap is allowing enough air by to make things worse?

Attachments

• IMG_1943-1.jpg
    IMG_1943-1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 335
it is possible, cant say for sure as i dont know the stove but the fact of the matter is if its an area which is gasketed it shouold not have a gap like that IMHO. as a test , take some high temp silicone and fill the gap but let it dry before reinstalling, be advised the silicone aint gonna stay there permanently but in running a similar fire with that area blocked off should give you your answer. or if you have a replacement handy, just change it out. if the gasket is meant to seal the pot to the cradle forcing combustion air through the holes in the pot while keeping it from escaping (which im msure its purpose is) then its gonna show after the pot ashes up some and starts diverting more air through the leak (this may cause the pot to ash up that badly in the first place) and since you are running on high its gonna show worse and faster than in a low burn due to the higher amount of fuel being fed and the larger amount of air needed to burn and blow out the pot

I'd get a length of gasket and cut a plug or cut a new gasket.

While Mike's idea is good for a test most silicone sealant will flare and burn at that location, been there the repair guy did that and shortly after she fired up he said oops I don't think that will last that long.

I tried some silicone but did not let it fully cure first. It did not last long enough to tell a difference. I will pick up some gasket material tomorrow and go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.