1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burn Pot/ Ignitor area?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robzheat, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

How often do you clean the area where the ignitor is. I decided to clean mine the other day after burning about 15 bags of pellets.

I couldn't believe how much ashes were in the ignitor area, it lit much easier after that

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    More often when the weather is warm than cold, the stove will usualy be running 24/7 when it gets real cold so the ignitor isn't really needed You'll be able to get away with cleaning it between 25 to 50 bags soon. The best tip that its time to clean, is when the flame starts to get lazy and lean towards the glass, at this point do a complete cleaning though, and try to do it on a day that is warmest for the week. Beware the weather people lie on the extended forcasts. :)
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Never gave it any special attention on the Quad. It stayed pretty clean. Why would the ignitor area get crustier on the Harman?
  4. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Not 100% sure on that one but the igniter is under the burnpot and the airflow through the stove follows this path maybe the ash insulates the igniter a little, but when it gets filled with ash and the stove starts to auto ignite, the stove has a very very smokey startup, maybe its an air fuel ratio thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.