burn time question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
So I have been lighting fires with my good wood. It burns so much hotter.

Now I lit a fire, packed my stove with wood, slowed it down to a slow burn and went to see family for about 3-4 hours. When I got home all my wood was gone with very little ambers left. That would not be an overnight burn. Why did my wood burn up so quickly? How can I make it last overnight.

The wood I was using was a bit smaller than average fire wood but I would think that smaller but more pieces would be like bigger and fewer pieces. Or I can just be plain wrong.

thanks for any info!!!

What stove is this with sk? Can you add it to your signature? It sounds like a small firebox stove. Bigger splits may help a little.

What kind of wood? You have a pretty small firebox so I'd guess a 4-6 hour max burn with good hard wood and some coals left. If your less than that you may need to slow down the draft with a pipe damper? Trial and error, give it some time and experiment with different loading technique's. You really need a firebox of 2 cu ft or better to get a good 8 hr burn unless it's a cat stove.

Depends on firebox size, draft and wood species. My Oslo burn times differ quit a bit when I burn Hickory vs swamp maple.
Hickory will give me the longest burn time and the best coals, but swamp maple will be shorter and leave me a pretty lame bed of coals in the morning.

WoodButcher

it takes me a few days to build up to a all night burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.