Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Ok ya'll, I would like to hear what you have for a stove and burn times please!

You realize this is going to start the whole "what exactly does burn time mean" issue, right?
For me it's when the stove goes down to about 200-250 and I can still get some heat and have enough embers for a reload without a relight. I have a Jotul Oslo and typically range from 7-10 hr burn times, but it isn't rare to get 12 hours with a stove packed with oak and locust. The longest I've had was around 15 hours last season and I was quite impressed.

Harman tl300 average on hardwood 13 .25 hours so far. Temps at reload are usually around 300 with a hot coal bed. I usually put 3 prices of kindling which sets off imidiatly then 4 pieces roughly 2" round for about 5 minutes after which I add a half load for 15 minutes. Once it's burning well and box is at 550 I add the other half and close th damper with air on high for about 10 minutes then set the air where I want and walk off with no smoke. I have achieved a 17 hour burn once but I think the stars aligned for that one cuz I havnt pulled it off again :-S

Pete

Your asking a pretty loaded question but for what it is worth, 14.5 hours yesterday and the stove top was still between 275-350 with the blower running between high and medium on a load Hickory and I probably could have let it go another couple of hours and still had plenty of coals to reload on. Loaded half a load last night and had a 250° stove top 9.5 hours later with tons of coals probably could have let it go a lot longer to but I had to get to work.

logger said:
You realize this is going to start the whole "what exactly does burn time mean" issue, right?
For me it's when the stove goes down to about 200-250 and I can still get some heat and have enough embers for a reload without a relight. I have a Jotul Oslo and typically range from 7-10 hr burn times, but it isn't rare to get 12 hours with a stove packed with oak and locust. The longest I've had was around 15 hours last season and I was quite impressed.

That is impressive.

Ok for those of you who dont care that I have a vogelzang wood stove , my stove is rated to get 12 hour burn. I can get 10 hours out of its 2.2CF box pretty regular as it always has lots of hot coals left. I am trying to heat a 1900 square foot upstairs ranch style house. But its a challenge as the stove is down stairs in a 1500SqFT basement. It isnt rated for that , I really need a NC-30. But will wait as I just got this stove this year. But to be truthful it does a pretty good job for what I am asking out of it as the coldest night of the year of 11 degrees I woke up with the house at 69 degrees in the center of the house after a 8 hour burn time, I had hot coals to start it up again. I am in the process of remodeling the basement and need to put a wall up seperating the garage part from the family room part as of right now the floor joist have no insulation or covering as I tore it all off for the remodel in the basement. This makes a good situation as the heat comes up thru my wood floors like I have cable heating in the floors. Some one used to have the same setup years ago before I bought the house as with the stove sitting where it connects to the masonry chimney in the basement there is a heat grate opening in the floor right above the stove and I know thats against code but it was done years ago in the late 60's when there was no codes around here. So using the stove as a radiant heater instead of using the blower the heat rises pretty quickly right up into the upstairs.

Attachments

• Performer in Indiana.jpg
    Performer in Indiana.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 770
I burn 7 months straight 24/7 and don't have a furnace. For me, burn time is the length of sustainable burn cycles that keep the house warm. In other words, the coal bed doesn't get out of hand and fill the firebox but there also aren't long periods of burn down time when the stove isn't putting out enough heat to keep the house warm.

A ~100 pound load of dry primo wood in October easily goes a day and a half with an easy reload. The fastest I can fully burn that same load with the stove wide open and blowers going is 16 hours. I do 24 hour burn cycles of less than primo wood for the majority of the heating season and only get the good stuff out when I need it.

I have'nt burned in a wood stove since I was a kid...so I really don't remember or payed attention to this but I am a die hard outdoor barbequer & being the subject is so out there for argument sake I would say burn time would be fair to say.... to be able to throw a piece of wood on there & it starts back up without assistance. Start the time. Hmmm! And HuntinDog...that's a great looking picture. And great burn times.

With my 1.6 cubic ft (according to the manufacturer) firebox I can load the stove fully, adjust air to a low setting once the fire is going reasonably well, and have enough coals to start again 7 hours later, maybe 8 hrs later. However the last 4 hours or so my stove is cooling down. I might say I get 4 to 5 hour burn times, or I might say 7 or 8 hrs and both are honest answers.

@ solar&wood;...you don't count haha. That stoves not even in the same league as the rest of them. I'm looking for probably & small to a medium size stove.

Burn time is whatever you want it to be and BKs always take the prize.

+1 Amen. Though according to the chimneysweep's tests, the PE Spectrum got first prize in the non-cat category.

I guess it depends, but I'll go with the definition of having a hot coal bed that can restart the next load w/o a match or lighter:

We've never run the Temco cone or the Fisher....

Lopi Republic 1750, 12 hours give or take about a 1/2 hour max so far, which is more than the mfg's rating of 10 hours. That's loaded w/2 splits and 5-6 ecobricks on a hot coal bed from the night before, relit on reload and didn't check the thermo.

Best yet is 11 hrs on 3 big maple splits cut this spring.

LLigetfa said:

What do you think the biggest reason for that is??? I heard them catalyst's are expensive!

neumsky said:
What do you think the biggest reason for that is??? I heard them catalyst's are expensive!

Replacement cat for my Princess is 220 with the gasket. I would replace it yearly without blinking an eye as well as these stoves burn. I don't think it's out of the question to get 3-4 years/seasons easy out of them if you treat them right.

SolarandWood is not all that far from me..same kind of temps pretty much...so I can vouch for him..not that he needs it.
I do 24 hours or more in the shoulder and when it's real cold I load about 2/3 to burn in 12 hour cycles.
The 12 hour reloads are just easier for me to time my loads.

neumsky said:
LLigetfa said:

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek and a little bit sour-grapes.

If BK owners are to be believed, their once a day feeding is more about having a routine but loading once every 36 hours kinda messes up one's routine.

Just remember you can put like 100# of wood in a King...and it is designed for the long smoldering burn.
Because of the decent sized cat 300-400 stove top near the cat is not uncommon more then halfway through the burn.
I loaded almost 4 hours ago.
I peaked at 670 and the last 3 hours it's been sitting at 600 with no noticeable flame.
The biggest thing is keeping your house temps up so you don't have to rip a fire to bring it back up.
That's where you go through the wood with any stove.

I just checked again..585 by cat..rest of stove top 400ish...stack on single wall 18" up is 250.
Kinda warm out..43f.
75F in next room...a little warm but I don't have the air all the way back...but not up enough to have visible flame..running another time trail..lol...actually a t-stat test.

Where I'm saving wood is the diff between stove top and stack.
That differential is key imo.

On the Dutchwest I could get a 16 hour burn in the shoulder season. Once in a blue moon! But that's not a fair assessment of how the stove works when it is really trying. On really cold nights, like single digits or below is when you judge if your stove really works. My DW never needed a match to restart after 8 hour night of arctic weather, keeping the house at or above 69 in the main hallway. No furnace was ever needed with that stove, it was not even on. You need a good stash of dry oak for those arctic blasts. Nothing comes close to BK for burn times. Get you self a princess and you'll be able to tell us all about it. Burn half loads on the shoulder season and full loads once a day in the real cold and you'll keep your furnace off and stay toasty all day and night. I don't know why any of us buy all these other stoves when I hear how the BK's perform. Aside from aesthetics.

Here is a screen capture of burn time I made with my Omega wireless temp data logger.

I loaded it at about 9:00pm with a full load of maple. The fire box is 1.4cf, so it doesn't hold all that much.

About 40 min later stove hit 700 °F ambient temp about 80 °F .

8 hr later stove top temp 150 °F , ambient temp dropped to 73 °F .

I would say that is a solid 8 hr burn time. :)

Attachments

• burn time1.jpg
    burn time1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 529
WES999 said:
Here is a screen capture of burn time I made with my Omega wireless temp data logger.

I loaded it at about 9:00pm with a full load of maple. The fire box is 1.4cf, so it doesn't hold all that much.

Man I want whatever that deal is that you have to record all that!
Can you point me in the right direction?
What is that red line for round 58.275?

WES999 said:

8 hour burn time yes, meaningful heat for me would be anything right around 300 give or take a little.

Great way to record data! I think I can actually take a software program I use for my car to record fuel mixture and EGT and adapt it to monitor the wood stove. Hmmm Maybe I'll give it a shot. :lol: The program is known but what are you using for a thermocouple etc?

I'd love to see this data from different stoves so we could compare their burn characteristics. This would be a great way to fuel along the never ending cat vs non cat debate. :lol:

rdust said:
WES999 said:

8 hour burn time yes, meaningful heat for me would be anything right around 300 give or take a little.

Great way to record data! I think I can actually take a software program I use for my car to record fuel mixture and EGT and adapt it to monitor the wood stove. Hmmm Maybe I'll give it a shot. :lol: The program is known but what are you using for a thermocouple etc?

I'd love to see this data from different stoves so we could compare their burn characteristics. This would be a great way to fuel along the never ending cat vs non cat debate. :lol:

He has my interest now also!
We have been using fuel controllers and EGT readings on sleds to get a good fuel/air mixture...interesting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.