Burned in NJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsharpinnj

Jan 2, 2008
Western NJ
Bought an older (single door, no glass, two hole collar, raised griddle) VC Resolute thru EBay and later found that flue collar could not be reversed to up positon because of repair by previous owner. Have tried to find replacement collar with no luck. Many sources say just not available anywhere. Seller says he has friend who is accomplished welder and can repair collar. That would be fine, but most everyone I know says that cast iron is all but impossible to weld sucessfully. Any suggestions? Thanks. Joe.

Cast iron is difficult to weld, not impossible. Look for a welding shop in the area that repairs cylinder heads/blocks for diesel engines, etc. They will be able to weld your cast.
A good place to start if you know no one is a welding supply house, for they will be selling supplies to the place you need.
By the way, what exactly is the problem with the casting anyway?

Its broken in two. Right through the bolt hole. Probably someone over tightedn the allen wrench type fastener. Seller then drilled the casting and used round head screws to hold piece on to the stove with lots of cement to seal it. Problem is I need to reverse the collar to the up position for my application.

Did the seller disclose this information? Is he willing to adjust the bid now that this has been disclosed? It sounds like you have a reasonable excuse for backing out of the auction if you want to. If you want more eyeballs to look over the stove, maybe post the eBay auction number?

I'll bet you can find that part! Did you try Woodmans Associates and Black Swan stove?

Cast iron is tough to weld, but it is possible if the welder really knows their stuff.

PS. can you drill some additional holes and mount it in any other way? Cast iron is easy to drill (and tap, on the stove side if needed).

elmoleaf said:
Try finding a hobbyist that casts iron. You might be able to get someone to cast the part for you relatively inexpensively.

Yikes.... do you know how big a blast furnace you need to do cast iron? Now that must be one hell of a hobbist!

Maybe look around for a place that does custom engine headers and exhaust systems, still gotta cost you more than what you paid for the stove though.

Good luck!

I had a 32 Chev with a cracked cast head a couple of years ago. I looked around a bit and found a shop that repaired big Diesels and they fixed it without a problem, it help water pressure after that. These folks are very skilled; after all a large Diesel can cost many thousands of dollars to replace. You should be able to solve this problem. Some years ago, I actually was able to fill a corner of an old box stove that a friend of mine cracked using just my MIG welder and standard wire for fill; it can be done.

Cast iron can be made in your backyard.
This guy does it with a oil fired burner: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/ironcasting01.html
ironcasting01_ingotpour.jpg

Others a bit more advanced build their own larger cupola furnaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.