Burned Pellets Building up in the Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vouty

Apr 1, 2014
Massachusetts
My 2008 VistaFlame VF-100 pellet stove recently began to accumulate pellets in the burn pot. This happens after 3 days of burning. They are burned, but a gray clump forms and they build up in the burn pot causing the flame to get lazy and create black soot. I have used the same pellets all season and they have burned fine. I clean the stove every week. The seals in the door and ash pan seem to be sealed tightly. I replaced the exhaust motor 3 years ago. The first lasted 6 years. Does anyone have any ideas? Would it be worth replacing the exhaust motor again? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

When last has the exhaust motor been removed and cleaned and the pipe from stove to termination cap. I used to have an enviro meridian which is just about identical to you’re stove and when lazy flame and black soot shows up it’s usually starved for air. Have you ever done the leaf blower trick on the exhaust pipe

Reactions: johneh
Typical starved for air scenario
Needs tare down and full cleaning

I usually do a full cleaning including taking out the panels and cleaning the insides completely at the end of the season. I clean it very well each week. I pulled the exhaust motor out and cleaned it maybe 3 weeks ago. In the 9 years I have used the stove, there has never been a problem with airflow.

One thing I thought of that changed.......I recently moved bags of pellets to a location closer to the stove out of the way (the stove is in a finished basement). The intake is a short tube coming out of the back. It has never had a problem with air intake. I am wondering if moving the pellets is causing the airflow to change and disrupt the burn. I am think of using a small fan to move the air behind the stove to see if that makes a difference. Does that make any sense....Is it possible moving the bags of pellets is causing this issue.

I doubt the bags are disturbing the air flow. I would look into your vent being partially blocked. Pull your combustion motor and clean in the chamber and the fan pettals. Ck the vent pipe for debris or ash build up.

Reactions: rona
I have a small fan blowing to the back of the stove. It seems to be burning better.
I will continue to watch it. Hopefully we won't be burning the stove much longer here in New England.
I will do a thorough cleaning and take down at the end of the season.