burner covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Then it would be fine. I also doubt the shield is wide enough either
I think I need this…..

628A64B0-BB7E-4DC0-8655-E88A1AC7D104.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: snobuilder
Would any of these help fix the problems?
Yes a bigger shield would work. Shielding the pipe would work. Double wall pipe would work. But honestly I would be looking to replace that stove. I believe it is a cheap Chinese or Taiwanese copy of an old coal stove.

Yes a bigger shield would work. Shielding the pipe would work. Double wall pipe would work. But honestly I would be looking to replace that stove. I believe it is a cheap Chinese or Taiwanese copy of an old coal stove.
Thank you. I’ll change the stove before I do anything.. Any suggestions for a small stove to heat 1100 square feet?

Thank you. I’ll change the stove before I do anything.. Any suggestions for a small stove to heat 1100 square feet?
Something in the 1.5 cu ft range would work. There are many, it just depend on the budget.

How long of a split will typically fit in a modern stove that small?
It depends on the firebox design, 16" is average. Some might take 18 or 20" if the firebox is wide, but shallow.

It depends on the firebox design, 16" is average. Some might take 18 or 20" if the firebox is wide, but shallow.
I asked because I thought it was best to load NS in these modern stoves which is very shallow in a small stove and redefines what a splits length should be when bucking a log or buying pre split wood with a standard 16" split length .
Just something to consider when deciding on the firebox size.

It's often not practical to cut wood so short. At best it can be a pain in the butt. Those stoves are meant to load E/W only.

I have had both and now have a strong preference for a deeper firebox that loads N/S.

Another option is a small box stove like the Jotul F602 or VC Aspen C3 that only loads N/S.

Reactions: snobuilder
I asked because I thought it was best to load NS in these modern stoves which is very shallow in a small stove and redefines what a splits length should be when bucking a log or buying pre split wood with a standard 16" split length .
Just something to consider when deciding on the firebox size.
I’m super confused now… I’ve been checking out the Buck 21 stove. One place says the log length should be 11” which I’m guessing is front to back. Another says 18” which would have to be side to side. I don’t know which is correct.Could I do it either way?

There is not "have to" load in a certain way. It's user preference. Most folks find it easier to load with the length of the splits perpendicular to the plane of the door.

I’m super confused now… I’ve been checking out the Buck 21 stove. One place says the log length should be 11” which I’m guessing is front to back. Another says 18” which would have to be side to side. I don’t know which is correct.Could I do it either way?
The Buck 21 has a shallow firebox. It can be loaded either way, but it would be a real pain to cut wood 11". Thus the stove is primarily an E/W loader that accepts 18" splits, though 16" is more comfortable for this stove. When comparing stoves, look at the firebrick pattern. A standard firebrick is 9" x 4.5". You can see that the floor of the firebox is 18" wide and 9" deep. One might be able to squeak in an 11" split, but 9-10" is the more realistic N/S loading dimension.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 8.54.01 AM.png

Reactions: Hokypuk
If your stove is a Taiwan knockoff, they are pretty common.

I brought up the new stove box size so that you wouldn't get blind sided by how small they can be. if you go the modern stove route you will want to make sure it isn't a game of Tetris to get your readily available wood to fit and burn.

Reactions: stoveliker
I brought up the new stove box size so that you wouldn't get blind sided by how small they can be. if you go the modern stove route you will want to make sure it isn't a game of Tetris to get your readily available wood to fit and burn.
The old stove was already very small. But you do have a good point.