Burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfguy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Niskayuna, NY
What are the advantages of burning overnight and while at work during the day. My wife thinks I am crazy for burning when nobody is home or awake. I told her that it keeps the Natural Gas FHA furnace off while we are at work and overnight. Doesn't seem to be a compelling enough answer. Suggestion?

background:
We just bought and had our stove installed. I'm new to wood burning and she grew up with a fireplace in her home. Her parents put in a insert two months before our install and only burn in the evenings to take the chill out. I'm looking to save us some $. But everytime I buy wood she keeps making comments like "how much more do you need to keep getting." Only bought two cords worth of Logs to cut and split so far.

You hit the big one - keeping the furnace off (or running as little as possible). Also, having a fire in the morning before you leave might mean having coals left in the stove when you return, making starting the evening fire a lot easier. If you have the wood, and it is cheaper than your other heating alternative, burn away and save some money! Cheers!

bottom line is the $$ you would spend on heat/gas. even if you run the wood stove in the morning and have your furnace on 65 (+-) it probably won't come on until later in the day. same goes for the night, saving big bucks on the fuel bill. its sometimes hard for those who never have been exposed to full time wood burning to become used to it. its messy, takes a lot of work and can cost a few $$ if you have to buy it but when compared to the fuel bill its a lot less....and there is nothing like wood heat. :)

Anywy, just my $0.02 worth. Be patient, she'll come around when you show the fuel savings.

good luck....

cass

Saving money. If you're only burning for fun, then I guess I see your wife's point. Otherwise, the goal is to keep the furnace from kicking on as you mentioned. If that's not a compelling enough answer then I don't have any help for you.

I try to heat 24/7 to keep the gas budget way down although the furnace will usually kick on in the a.m. for a bit... However, I do use the furnace a lot more in the shoulder seasons.

The savings will be in the number of matches you use to start a fire every day and the subesequent hastle factor. The rest of the savings will depend on how much it costs you for firewood versus the price of natural gas. Given current gas pricing, your wife is probably right and running the furnace periodically may also provide the needed humidity assuming a furnace mounted humidifier.

I'm burning 24/7 now but I turn down the stove at night and set the thermostat on the gas furnace to come on and supplement the heat and provide the needed humidity. I have a modern, well sealed home that requires a HRV to provide fresh air and the frequent air changes take out too much humidity. There is no way that I'm going to run a portable humidifier and lug gallons of water every day so I let the furnace take care of that. I'm not that much a purist to not let the furnace run ever and I won't let my the overnight temps drop below 70 and have condensation/mold/rot issues to save a buck.

The stove only pays for itself when the furnace is off....

Depends where you get your wood from, if you paying retail price for cord wood delivered, to me it would be easier and cheaper to use the gas furnace. but if you get your wood for free by scrounging, then its definitly about saving money.

Wasnt hard to convice my wife to burn 24/7 as we have electric heat and i have scrounged all our wood for free minus the cost of gas, my time, and tools of the trade. When I show her how our typical winter electric bill of 450$ gets reduced to 100$ thats enough for her.

For us it comes down to avoiding burning oil - for all the reasons that we don't want to burn oil. In addition, I simply don't like doing cold starts so keeping it burning is easier.

Turfguy said:
But everytime I buy wood she keeps making comments like "how much more do you need to keep getting." Only bought two cords worth of Logs to cut and split so far.
Again, it depends on how much the wood costs you.

Everyone else chiming in here has different circumstances... free wood, expensive oil or electric heat, etc.

I pay $100 for a cord of wood in log form that I need to process at some small additional cost. My gas bill averages $2 a day and the actual gas comsumed is just a fraction of that. Given that I use gas for cooking and DHW, what my furnace uses is peanuts. Gas is cheap now.

As said before, I keep the fire going 24/7 but burn it on low when we're asleep or not home mostly for the convenience of not having to relight the stove every day.

Saving money is the key. Compare your gas bills though. I found that when buying my own wood at $50 per face cord I wasnt really saving money on my natural gas when burning in a high efficiency gas furnace. If I had the ambition to get free wood, then its a no brainer.

We will be running our stove 24/7 next week for the first time as we have forecast for midday highs of about 20f, which is cold for here. Our furnace has only been run for an hour a day to heat up the water for washing, and so far I have managed to keep up with the foraging, chopping, and sawing (my theory being that if I can keep the woodpile the same size, whilst burning the old stuff, the new stuff can season next summer).

My wife has been out foraging with me, so she is convinced of the benefits of the wood stove.

She loves low utility bills :)

For me it comes down to two reasons why I burn 24/7 . . . even when my wife and I are not home.

1) Oil is expensive and the wood is close to being free . . . I like saving money.

2) I set my oil boiler to come on at 60 degrees . . . typically after an overnight or overday fire the temp in the house is still above the 60 degrees mark meaning I saved money . . . and the house is that much warmer . . . which means the time (and comfort level) to bring the house back up to a nice, toasty 70 or 72 degrees is that much shorter.

I should also in fairness mention that my wife works night on a part time basis (2 nights each week) and I work days . . . which also means there is a very good chance that one or both of us will be home at any one time so it really does make sense to keep the heat a-flowing . . . or rather I should say the stove-a-glowing.

Like some others our wood stove is not our only heat source but it does stay burning most of the time. We live in a 110 year old house that is well insulated but doesnt have a standard furnace system - vents etc. What we had before was a big old Warm Morning nat gas heater that was vented out a 6 inch pipe up a chimney. Not very efficient but very warm but again most of the heat was also going out the chimney.
So we got a energy efficient Monitor gas heater - vents and sucks in air from outside through just a small pipe
Here is the info
http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/HeatingProducts/RoomHeaters/monitor/monitorgf200500tech.htm#map

We also have a Keystone wood stove - basically we keep it fired up in different cycles - sometimes completely loaded and cranking and others a little less but cruising at warm temps that keep house around 70. The Monitor has the ability to be programmed for times and temps - we basically keep it at 70 degrees most of the time and with the wood stove fired up it goes on now and then for a couple minutes. Also have it programmed to come on high about a hour before wake up for when the fire has died down overnight. It has the place toasty and the wood stove is generally still holding some heat and coals and just needs to be fed for another cycle.

This has been working well the past few weeks where we have had temps at zero or below overnite and daytimes not much above 10. When its 20 and above it stays really warm we dont have to burn as much but still burn.
Our gas bills used to be around $250 to $350 now we have had $50 for Nov and it looks like maybe $100 this month. We are saving and much more efficient
This morning with one load in woodstove its 72 in the house and the gas stove hasnt been on since this morning. Its 20 outside and I will load up in a bit and head out to ski - will only put in a couple of splits and when I get back in a few hours crank it up for the evening.

Wrote alot here but this is what I have experienced so far and am very happy heating with wood using a Woodstock soapstone with the cat - the only thing I am thinking is if I got the next bigger stove I would have had more heat but not sure if it would have been a great deal difference
What is really nice is temps above thirty outside means no gas stove at all or if no wood stove the new gas unit is so efficient I am still saving tons

I appreciate everyone's input so far. This is our situation; We can get some free wood when I do trimming @ work during the winters. But honestly if I can bring home a face cord we would be lucky because its mostly branch pruning. So we are forced to buy, where I can get log lengths which I have to process for $120 a cord. Also like many of you I really enjoy cutting and splitting the wood, very satisfying and rewarding.
Right now our Natural Gas price for last bill was $2.10 a therm, this price varies. Is there a way to figure out if we are saving buy burning wood? This is our first winter in a house(first-time homeowner), so I have no idea what the cost would be per month during the winter if we just used the NG FHA furnace. Thanks for all your help!

Agree, comparing to natgas is tough right now. I pay 80 cents a therm + delivery charges - we average about $1.20 a therm all up. Figuring in system efficiencies, my break even is about $225 a cord of hardwood.And that doesn't account for the value of my time.

Of course Id burn wood anyway. :)

I've been heating with wood for 9yrs now. I run the stove 24/7 (only makes sense to me) not just because I want to save money. I wouldn't do it if I weren't warmer in the process. I like being as warm and comfortable as possible at little or no cost to operate plus when its all snowy and cold out it makes a nice place to dry boots,socks,gloves and whatever you drag in wet.

Turfguy said:
I appreciate everyone's input so far. This is our situation; We can get some free wood when I do trimming @ work during the winters. But honestly if I can bring home a face cord we would be lucky because its mostly branch pruning. So we are forced to buy, where I can get log lengths which I have to process for $120 a cord. Also like many of you I really enjoy cutting and splitting the wood, very satisfying and rewarding.
Right now our Natural Gas price for last bill was $2.10 a therm, this price varies. Is there a way to figure out if we are saving buy burning wood? This is our first winter in a house(first-time homeowner), so I have no idea what the cost would be per month during the winter if we just used the NG FHA furnace. Thanks for all your help!

As far as the wood, you would be surprised how much free wood is available. Keep an eye on Craig's List and get the word out to your friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Also you may want to put an ad on CL something like...."Have some downed trees on your property? Don't pay someone to clean it up, I will do it for the wood." I have had major success with CL ads. Of course I live in the mountains but.... you get the idea. Don't limit the ways you can gather wood.

firefighterjake said:
I set my oil boiler to come on at 60 degrees . . . typically after an overnight or overday fire the temp in the house is still above the 60 degrees mark meaning I saved money . . . and the house is that much warmer . . . which means the time (and comfort level) to bring the house back up to a nice, toasty 70 or 72 degrees is that much shorter.
It amazes me when I hear of people letting their temps swing that low. Dropping to 60 must condense the moisture out of the air big time. My windows are double pane low-E with argon and if I were to let the temps fall to 60 when it is much colder outside, my windows would be dripping with sweat and rotting out the frames. I'd imagine I would have mold and mildew issues too around thermal bridge points.

I'd have to turn off the humidifier and suffer nosebleeds, dry cracked skin, and respiratory issues. I guess given the price of oil, income may dictate, but then I'd be getting up in the middle of the night and restoking the stove instead.

LLigetfa said:
firefighterjake said:
I set my oil boiler to come on at 60 degrees . . . typically after an overnight or overday fire the temp in the house is still above the 60 degrees mark meaning I saved money . . . and the house is that much warmer . . . which means the time (and comfort level) to bring the house back up to a nice, toasty 70 or 72 degrees is that much shorter.
It amazes me when I hear of people letting their temps swing that low. Dropping to 60 must condense the moisture out of the air big time. My windows are double pane low-E with argon and if I were to let the temps fall to 60 when it is much colder outside, my windows would be dripping with sweat and rotting out the frames. I'd imagine I would have mold and mildew issues too around thermal bridge points.

I'd have to turn off the humidifier and suffer nosebleeds, dry cracked skin, and respiratory issues. I guess given the price of oil, income may dictate, but then I'd be getting up in the middle of the night and restoking the stove instead.

In the past I have always let the termostat drop to the 50's during the day and never had condensation problems, I guess it depends on where you live.

Last year I burned 24/7, this year I'm burning only when we are home (evenings and weekends), so by the end of the season I should have some excellent comparison data. I think as long as nat gas is cheap, I might want to conserve wood (and time) by using it. If I had massive amounts of wood I might change my mind.

Do this. Let the furnace run as needed for a month or two while you're processing the wood, and getting more. Then, start using the stove. As long as you've saved money, and don't mind the work, you're good.
You may need to wait until next year when the wood will be better to use. In the meantime, keep track of the gas bills.
In my case, in my climate, in this house, with this stove, I use less than $60/month in wood. As has been mentioned in at least one other thread similar to this one, there is NO WAY, that I could use nat. gas to keep this house warm at anywhere near that cost. Also mentioned, my gas bill is about $25/month to heat the water we use.
Good luck.

Turfguy said:
What are the advantages of burning overnight and while at work during the day. My wife thinks I am crazy for burning when nobody is home or awake. I told her that it keeps the Natural Gas FHA furnace off while we are at work and overnight. Doesn't seem to be a compelling enough answer. Suggestion?

background:
We just bought and had our stove installed. I'm new to wood burning and she grew up with a fireplace in her home. Her parents put in a insert two months before our install and only burn in the evenings to take the chill out. I'm looking to save us some $. But everytime I buy wood she keeps making comments like "how much more do you need to keep getting." Only bought two cords worth of Logs to cut and split so far.

So, what happens when you just build a fire when you get home from work and an overnight fire then let it go out?

1. Regular furnace runs.
2. Furnace running takes dollars from your pocket.
3. Every time you have to light a fire in a cold stove, a certain amount of that heat goes into heating up the stove and the flue. This, in turn, causes you to use more wood for the time you are actually using the wood stove.

If you are burning 24 hours per day you don't have to heat up the cold stove. You can keep the house at a reasonably steady temperature with only moderate swings in temperature unless you also teach your wife how to load the stove and control the draft.

To me, one of the biggest benefits of burning 24/7 is that we can keep the house at a nice warm temperature. Rather than wearing sweaters or any heavy clothing, I typically wear only a t-shirt on top and the wife just wears.....a bit less than she normally would. I like it really warm so that when I come in from outdoor work I can get warm fast.

As for the wood and what you need on hand, you will find your first couple of years burning wood will mean you spend more time taking care of the wood. Then you will typically have a 2-3 year wood stash which will mean then you will work less because you only have to replace what you burned. You also will burn less wood because the wood is good and dry and it just will not take as much wood to get the heat you require. You also won't spend as much time cleaning that chimney because the dry wood will not give you the creosote problems that green wood will give.

All this and we haven't even considered the environment!

In my book, it is hard to beat burning wood 24/7. In fact, we have no other source of heat and we get along just fine. Even in our "senior" years we don't have to work all that hard to put up a year's supply of wood. Actually we find it gives us some needed exercise exactly when we need it most; during the cold months.

Happy heating to all.

Turfguy said:

background:

I was burning part time (nights only) for years. Someone pointed out to me that I was spending extra wood and extra time just getting the stove, flue, and surrounding masonry up to temp each night, and this was BEFORE the house started getting warmed! Wood stoves tend to throw fewer BTU's over a longer, constant time compared with a house's furnace, which can burst lots of fast heat into the house. Starting the stove each night wastes wood.

I'll re-post my oil usage chart here since it seems appropriate for the question - it shows how my oil rate dropped after I went from burning nights only to burning 24/7.

Attachments

• oil.gif
    oil.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 546
I handle the problem of the furnace coming on when we are away by the simple expedient of keeping it turned off. We basically keep it off Nov. 1 to April 1, then on and off depending upon prevailing conditions.

When you do a cold startup you lose a certain amount of heat up the flue getting the temperature up to its operating range. Then you have the issue of getting the house back up to temperature, which can take quite a while. While this will be done with the stove operating at peak efficiency, coming home to a cold house and shivering over supper and finally getting the house nice and warm - just before bedtime... well, its no way to enjoy wood burning.

I prepare the fire before leaving of a morning exactly as I do at bedtime. When I get home the house has dropped a couple of degrees, there is a strong bed of coals, and I can be up and back to normal temps within an hour. It is a choice of leaving of a morning with a full load of wood or returning to a cold house, and cold stove, and still having to load up the stove. The difference in wood consumption cannot be more than a couple of splits.

Caveat: We have a well insulated house and a comparatively mild Missouri climate. I can see where this would not work for everyone.

think of it this way, the more you burn the faster your expensive chit will pay for it self.

Status
Not open for further replies.