1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

burning box elder

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by labrador, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labrador

labrador Member

Loc:
    upstate New York
    Any opinions on burning box elder? I can get a lot of it FREE just wondered about the burning qualities. It will be used in an insert so I should not have to deal with the smell. Just starting to stock up for next year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    It burns fine as long as it's dry and gives off around the same heat as soft Maples. I like to burn it mostly in the spring and fall when I don't need as many BTU's as I would get from a load of Oak or Locust.
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We burned a ton of it back in the day...it's a good shoulder season wood. Or something to burn when your in an about the house.

Back in the day I went through a phase where I'd target certain pita trash trees...after willow box elder was next.

Not the kind of wood you'd put in the stove before going to bed.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Box elder I believe is in the maple family. I've had no problems burning it in the past but I certainly never go looking for it. The only box elder I've burned was given to me.
  5. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Box Elder sometimes called AshMaple, pia to splt. Still it makes you warm. If its free and you have the room might as well. I use it when I am around as it burns quickly, great for taking chill off, spring /fall. Starts easy so I use a bunch as kindeling also. Got about a 1.5 cord seasoning right now.
  6. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I burned some this past fall, it ain't no good for long burns but will put out some btu's if you need wood. I gotta be honest, I cut down a few recently, one was about 16 inch diameter at base, I threw it all on the burn pile and burned it up.

If you get it, make sure you store it off the ground.
  7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I got half a cord of the stuff. It was such a pain to split, I swore I'd never take any more of it.

It does make decent kindling though. It lights easily and burns quick.

Like the others have said, it is OK for the shoulder season if you just need a quick shot of heat.

-SF
  8. labrador

labrador Member

Loc:
    upstate New York
    thanks for all the advice. Since the price is right I will use it in the off seasons if I can separate it from the rest of the hardwood.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.