Burning cherry pits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbar2311

Mar 16, 2010
SE Michigan
We can get pits in CT too, Problem is there charging $6.00 for a 30 LBS. bag. Puts them close to $400/ton almost 2x the cost of wood pellets. I didn't inquire if there was a by the ton discount. But I did get 2 bags to burn. I hope to burn them this fall. Great link to the site. $210 a ton is a nice price. And I like the fact there trying to make them greener by updating the propane drier. Hopefully they can expand there market to New England area.

I didn't see an ash content on the site. Do you know what the ash content might be??

I would assume these are only for Multi-fuel stoves?

Werm,

A friend tried them in his pellet stove and had no issue burning them besides some more cleaning. He stopped when I told him the vent pipe has to be rated for these fuels. We saw no damage to the pipe in the spring. But they are supposed to burn with more corrosives than a wood pellet. You could try them, But don't burn a ton of them. I would wait until you have burned close to a ton of pellets and have a haze built up in the piping. This would give a little protection. Then burn some more wood pellets after the pits are burned and clean the vent. I don't think this would hurt you. But if you are going to make a habit out of it. Best to have the right tools to do it safely and the right stove to handle the extra ash quantity.

Disclaimer: If this fuel isn't recommended by your stove manufacture and you do not have the right vent pipe. Probably best to play it safe and not burn un-approved fuels. If the stove is under warranty and said fuels are burned. This could void the warranty! Just a heads up!

I am probably going to get a good scolding for suggesting Werm to try them! >:-(

I was really just more curious than anything, but that is good info fo sure! I doubt I'll try them as it would take me way too long to eat enough cherries to get a burnable amount! :ahhh:

Werm said:
I was really just more curious than anything, but that is good info fo sure! I doubt I'll try them as it would take me way too long to eat enough cherries to get a burnable amount! :ahhh:

I have everyone I know spitting them into 5 gallon buckets for me. I am drying them in the basement by the pellet stove. I almost have 60 LBS saved so far. But They will burn up in one day or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.