Burning corn in an M55?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill L

Jan 24, 2014
South Kingstown, RI
Do any of the M55 owners here burn corn? With the pellet supply getting short everywhere, I started checking for multi-fuel options and found this source of corn close to me http://blazincorn.com

Looks like the price for a bagged ton is about the same as a premium pellet at $300, and the bulk a bargain pellet at $206. All being said, I would rather avoid corn at those prices for rodent reasons, but looks like it would be an option.

I paid $140 ton bulk for corn a few weeks ago. Its went up some since. Find some steel drums with removable lids and some moth balls to ward off or kill the critters. Moths, weavils, etc can hatch out in the corn.

That price is a lot more attractive, I would think that these people would try and be a little more competitive with wood pellets. I'll have to check with the farm up the street, not sure if he produces or uses the same type of corn for burning

Yellow corn for feed, ethanol etc. May want to run everything through a 1/2 screen to be sure no big chunks , rocks get into stove and jam auger. They are jumping on the wagon, got a site up and are hooking the unknowing individuals. There is someone doing the same in MN but a bit better price as everywhere you look there is an elevator. Most elevators don't do bagging, only bulk. Feed mixing elevators can bag corn as they can make custom feed for horses,cow and pigs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.