Burning East West w/pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We also have a rather small firebox that only allows for max. 10" long
splits when loading N/S. Regardless, my wife loves N/S/ loading due to
less ash/log spillage & better burns. In the end, it's her opinion that matters,
because she tends to the stove while I'm at work.

DaFattKidd said:
burleymike said:
I almost always burn E-W because we only have lodgepole anything I can do to make it burn longer is welcome. I split most of my wood this year almost square so I don't have much issue with logs rolling toward the glass. I do need to give it a tad bit more air with a full load of larger splits/logs or the fire will die out in the end of the burn cycle.

Mike, what length do you cut those splits to? Do you get a longer burn EW? Is NS a faster hotter burn for you?

I tried a couple loads with some of my shorter logs last year N-S and I did not like how they burned faster and hotter I prefer the slower cooler burn E-W.

My neighbor and I go up every year and get wood. His two boys went along this year and the one that was bucking the logs decided he could eyeball them just as accurate as my measuring stick. I ended up with some rounds that were 16" and others that were 24" I had to do some trimming before splitting them, it sucked handling those rounds one more time. I like them between 19-21" the big pieces I cut 19" so they will fit through the door easier.

99 percent of the time i load n/s and i dont see much difference with the bk. i haven't really experimented to much with it. be interesting to.

burleymike said:
DaFattKidd said:
burleymike said:
I almost always burn E-W because we only have lodgepole anything I can do to make it burn longer is welcome. I split most of my wood this year almost square so I don't have much issue with logs rolling toward the glass. I do need to give it a tad bit more air with a full load of larger splits/logs or the fire will die out in the end of the burn cycle.

Mike, what length do you cut those splits to? Do you get a longer burn EW? Is NS a faster hotter burn for you?

I tried a couple loads with some of my shorter logs last year N-S and I did not like how they burned faster and hotter I prefer the slower cooler burn E-W.

My neighbor and I go up every year and get wood. His two boys went along this year and the one that was bucking the logs decided he could eyeball them just as accurate as my measuring stick. I ended up with some rounds that were 16" and others that were 24" I had to do some trimming before splitting them, it sucked handling those rounds one more time. I like them between 19-21" the big pieces I cut 19" so they will fit through the door easier.

I'm curious if other Osburn 2400 owners feel the same way? When I load it 3/4 or so NS it spikes to like 650-700, and sometimes even higher and then cruises usually around 600, then settles in around 550-500, and stays there for a bit. With the EW loads I haven't had the spikes like that, but to be honest I haven't been reloading on huge coal beds either. It's good to know I can vary the burns a bit. It's fun to play around with. But honestly I haven't seen much of a difference in room temps yet. I think once it gets colder I'll have a better chance to play around with it.

As for log length: I'm a scounger, so I get what I can. I usually try to use the chainsaw the least amount as possible. So I have about 1/2 cord or more of 12" splits (they always get put on the top of the stacks). And if I get 23" monsters I've been splitting and stacking them, and burn them EW. I love having the large firebox. It has cut down on the time I spend messing with wood. Now I can pretty much split whatever I get as is. My new thing is I try to split where I scrounge it, so I'm barely handling rounds.

I'm really enjoying hearing how EW/NS works for different woodburners.

ecocavalier02 said:
99 percent of the time i load n/s and i dont see much difference with the bk. i haven't really experimented to much with it. be interesting to.

I noticed whenever a BK owner posts pics, or even the BK videos on Youtube are almost all NS loading that I have seen. I'm sure others have different experiences.

the hair (what's left of it) on my left hand/arm and the dime sized burn marks on said arm says I prefer N/S loading. Unfortunately I have a small stove. I know, there's a support group for that, so I'm stuck with 90% of loads E/W.

I also have all of 2012-2013's wood cut, split and stacked and only about 25% of that is short enough to burn N/S. I'm cutting for 2013-2014 this winter and I'm cutting as much as I can small enough to load N/S. It's a little more handling but well worth the extra hassle to be able to load N/S especially if stove temps are higher when really loading it up for an overnight burn.

herdbull said:
the hair (what's left of it) on my left hand/arm and the dime sized burn marks on said arm says I prefer N/S loading. Unfortunately I have a small stove. I know, there's a support group for that, so I'm stuck with 90% of loads E/W.

I also have all of 2012-2013's wood cut, split and stacked and only about 25% of that is short enough to burn N/S. I'm cutting for 2013-2014 this winter and I'm cutting as much as I can small enough to load N/S. It's a little more handling but well worth the extra hassle to be able to load N/S especially if stove temps are higher when really loading it up for an overnight burn.

I had the Napoleon 1101 and used to get pretty good results with a mix of EW and NS. I cut most of my wood down to 13" to accommodate NS burning but left some longer splits. I used to have the most success by pulling the coals forward then placing a larger split EW in the back of the firebox. Place a smaller split EW in the front on top of the coals. Then fill the box jam packed full of NS splits. That would produce the longest burns for me with my wood supply and chimney set up.

That being said, I have been loading EW all week and enjoying the slower burns. I feel like I'm conserving a bit of wood burning this way. My wife still prefers to load it cross cross. I think that's the easiest way to get a fire going in my stove. Definitely not the most efficient way to load the stove. But honestly if she's putting wood in the stove and keeping the oil burner off, I'm very satisfied.

I have an stove ( H300) that I load E/W but at the same time I'll put either short pieces N/S or ECO bricks in between layers . Sometimes I'll put a piece of 2"x4" in the middle of the pile to help keep it going once I shut down the air. I try not to burn rounds but do have short andirions to keep wood off of the glass .......

Mainely Saws said:
I have an stove ( H300) that I load E/W but at the same time I'll put either short pieces N/S or ECO bricks in between layers . Sometimes I'll put a piece of 2"x4" in the middle of the pile to help keep it going once I shut down the air. I try not to burn rounds but do have short andirions to keep wood off of the glass .......

Were the andirons aftermarket or did they come with the stove?

I definitely prefer NS burns and our new Isle Royale does a great job with NS burns. I prefer them because I don't get a pile of ash by the front door, I don't have to stick my hands all the way into the blazing hot firebox to position new pieces--they can be handled and stacked by the ends, and, it seems to greatly improve air flow upon start up and restart. We couldn't NS load with 16" or longer splits when we had our Oslo, and that's just one more thing we love about the IR!

NP

The andirons are part of the stove & fit in slots just inside the glass .

That's a good point about reaching all the way in the stove. I recently bought a pair of gloves that come all the way up to my elbows. This has probably influenced my decision to go EW as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.