1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

burning fat....

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by maverick06, Nov 30, 2011.

1. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    We bought a big slab of pork today.... with a ton of fat on the outside of it.

When you look at the chemistry of it, the fat is just pure energy and should be good to burn in a non-cat stove... if done in small portions.

BUT it doesnt seem like a great idea, so it all just got thrown away.

That being said, I am sure I am not the first to think of it and was curious if anyone has successfully used it as a firestarter/fuel?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Melt it onto a pine cone?
  3. Creature

Creature Member

Loc:
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've used paper towel with bacon grease on it as a fire starter for my charcoal offset barbeque before. It worked well, but the smoke it puts out is a little acrid. Personally, I don't think the energy used to make starters from the fat would be worth the effort. Use too much of it and I think it would deposit in your stove and/or chimney, although I'm sure most would burn off once things get up to temp. I'll stick with Super Cedars and my other homemade (paraffin based) starters.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Melt it into paper cups and add a string + bird seed. Hang them outside for the birds and enjoy their company.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    +1
    birds love it, great for them in the winter.
    render it:
    pork lard makes great pie crust.
    home made soap
    Pork cracklings
  6. mcollect

mcollect Member

Loc:
    Garrett County, Md
    I'm with Bogydave. Melt it and use it to make the best pie crusts and biscuits. That type of lard has less saturated fat than butter, if you buy it it costs a fortune.
  7. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    No sir, throwing it out was wrong. I use it by grinding it up, mixing with fresh ground venison about 10-1, then for patties.. You talk about a good burger. At 15 -1, makes for a good summer sausage..
  8. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Fat has a high water content.
  9. burleymike

burleymike Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    Whenever my wife makes bacon she waits for the pan to cool and puts most of it into a container for later cooking. What is left in the pan goes into a few paper towels and into an already hot fire or bed of coals. I would rather it end up in the stove than stuck to the sewer pipes.
  10. Battenkiller

Battenkiller Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside the Blue Line
    A few paper towels, maybe, but a whole slab of pork? Now, that's a lot of blubber. :lol:

I agree with the bird lovers. Birds need energy too, and they will warm your heart by at least several degrees as they fuss around their suet cage mid-January.
  11. nate379

nate379 Guest

Toss is in the woods, the dogs, bears and whatever will like it.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Moved to the Inglenook where they are used to chewing the fat.
  13. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

It's been used as a fuel by humans for thousands of years. They skipped the stove part and ate it.

I knew a Native man who worked on the now-famous ice roads many years ago. He said that he always carried salmon strips with him, because that was a high-energy food. Once he inadvertently got sprayed down, and got in his cab, stripped down and ate the salmon strips to warm himself up.

A few other friends, European-Americans were both married to Alaska Natives (note to our Canadian and Oz/Kiwi members: that term is used respectfully here, not as a pejorative) and they were chatting about the fact that if they were winter camping with their husbands on a cold night, they just fed them something high-fat right before bedtime and snuggled up. Apparently the men had very efficient metabolisms.

So back in the day when you wore your house and you were the stove, fat was indeed a very popular fuel. Not that I am recommending that--I just get homesick for the caves sometimes. How much longer can an interglacial last? . . .
  14. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    Appreciate moving it to the right place.

So, lots of uses, could burn it, some uses much better than others! i like the idea of bird food, but I am a bit short on time now (have a 5 month old daughter), will keep that in mind though!

Thanks
  15. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Save some of the melted fat from maple-cured bacon & use a teaspoon of it instead of canola or olive oil next time you are popping popcorn. :coolsmirk:
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    And water can also have a high fat content. I was passing this beach one day..... Oh, never mind.
  17. spirilis

spirilis Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Market, MD
    Ohh snap! You just described half the eastern seaboard :D