Burning fines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsk

Sep 12, 2011
Eastern ct
Si I just dumped a bag in that must have gotten wet at some point because 25% of the bag was sawdust. Now I scooped it out. But it got me thinking. Would it just not burn? Would it burn in my flue? Would it just burn in the ash hopper?
I'm thinking it would put out crappy heat and end up out the flue.

Any one with experience?

It depends on the stove. Mine does not have issues with fines. Like jamming or clogging. But the fines burn before they hit the bottom of the burnpot and get blown around inside the stove(pretty sparks like fireworks) so the really don't add heat, Pellets with lots of fines seem to produce less heat(for me anyway).

You can sift em or invest in a pellet vac contraption thingy!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-from-their-pellets.93833/page-2#post-1238278

Status
Not open for further replies.