Burning Pine Observation and Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

eujamfh

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2009
va
Burning pine that has been C/S/S for about a year. Splits not too large. When I toss them in, sometimes there appears to be a sheen to the wood which within 10 minutes is gone. No hissing, and the only time I see any bubbling is where a limb was attached to the trunk, which from reading here is likely concentrated sap.

So my question it the sheen I am seeing also sap?

At times the larger splits are difficult to catch and I have to get a good flow of air into the firebox to have them catch. Usually its just moving them an inch or two to them left/right/back/forward to get the air channeling.

I posted the other week about my stove not drafting...well, it was clear why that occurred after having the sweep come in - the vent cap was totally clogged. I am certain that occurred because of the misunderstanding of dampening the stove while I was deployed. Unfortunately dampened was translated to closed all the way...so I know for a year's worth of burning there was a lot of smoldering fires. But I wonder if this years pine contributed significantly to the build up.

I don't think that the sheen you are seeing is an indication that the wood isn't seasoned. I have seen a similar sheen on pine that is at least two years old and very dry. I think it must be some sort of pine resin. It burns so I don't think it has much water in it.

What kind of pine?
Sounds like it could be drier, since you said it is hard to light. Dry pine should light right up.

My Pine is from April and May and I have some Very Large Splits (8" x 8") that are well below 20% M/C and light off immediately. Almost to fast.

Within minutes of closing the door, the wood is completely charred. Never noticed a sheen. I have 2 different types of Pine. Dont know what either are. I know that the large splits weight next to nothing and they create BTU's. Also saved me a lot of good wood this year, to use next year.

I burn a bit of pine and as I'm not too sure of what "sheen" might be it does seem the hard knots do seem to concentrate a bit of pitch which, if the pitch is seasoned is supposed to be a fuel. I've never seen it burn sooty like it does if you make pine pitch candles.

Don't know about sheen, but burning pine isn't a problem for build-up in your chimney or cap. That is, if it is seasoned, as with any wood. Where I live, and have for forty yr., about all we have available is pine. So, I've been burning pine for all my heating for four decades. I have never had a problem with creosote or any other significant chimney build-ups in all that time, using a number of stoves over the years. Pine burns fine, no problem.

If the pine one burns is not seasoned, it can be just as bad as any other type of wood. If your wood, as you stated, has been split and stacked for a year, I would think it is fine. My wood here, even if cut green after a wind storm or etc., and if I split and stack it, is usually ok to go within six months, though I give it longer.

I am not sure the pine here in Northern Virginia - thin needles, about 2 inches long...grow straight and tall (well this one was leaning which is why it and a bunch others came down).

Some of it is light, while others not as light. Same tree, same size, same place in the stack.

I know some of the pine had rain wetness - but I can feel that. The "sheen" occurs in the pieces that are not exhibiting any dampness from rain.

I am hoping that the plugged cap was from a year of bad burning while I was gone. This is the first year using a lot of pine (after being educated here and with the temps as high as they have been...we too have been using it to save oak).

I will try and take a picture - but I suspect it will be hard to capture.

eujamfh said:
Some of it is light, while others not as light.

Sort out the light stuff and burn it. Leave the heavier stuff in your stove room till is has the same weight as the light stuff.

I know the top 1/4 of the lodgepole I burn is full of sap. When I burn the pieces that are loaded with sap you can see it boiling out of the wood with roaring secondaries. It even drips off the wood as it burns. When the fire is just starting up and the sap has not started burning it looks like liquid varnish boiling out of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.