1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Burning Suckamore

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Mr A, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Sycamore. It was crap just last month. Not enough heat to keep up with the cold. Been in the 50's evenings and overnight. I'm starting to get it. This suck grass wood is taking the chill off without overheating. learning the meaning of shoulder season, I guess- first year burner here. Next weeks forecast is in the high 30's low temp, and high 60's- mid 70's. Low BTU wood does come in handy for more than kindling.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Yea Mr. A there is definately a place and time for all woods. Remember there is a fall and a spring , which means there should be just as much shoulder wood as there is the high BTU wood.
  3. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    But if given the choice I never take shoulder/lesser wood when I can get the good stuff. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. WeldrDave

WeldrDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I Got a couple cord of it earlier this February, the city trimming all the trees back for the summer months.,
    was it really that bad? Lucky for me it was easy to get and pre cut, I had a little to do but it was "free"
    I'm not gonna touch the stuff for about two years, was your's good and dry?
    ScotO likes this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Sycamore is a waterhogging wood. The more time you let it season the better. But its a softer wood, not the BTU's of oak or locust, more like silver maple or cherry.....

Let 'er season as long as you can, the longer the better. I'd say in two years it'd be good to go......three years even better.
    WeldrDave likes this.
  6. WeldrDave

WeldrDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Great stuff to know Scotty, Thanks... :cool: It was "free" so I'll just sit on it a good while:ZZZ