Burning To Control Dampness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Interesting. We're getting hit with some major water tonight into tomorrow morning. It's 44F outside right now and raining. Temp in the main house 69f, with the PE 550F for an hour now.

Erin is firing up the 13, as it is 65 in there with no fire for 3 days (woo hoo !!!).

We are preparing for a "Different Kind Of Burn" .

At least 2"'s of rain coming our way tonight. With temps in Icey Hollow going down to 40F or less (quiet, you way more northern peeps ;-P ), it's an odd situation, one I don't think I've dealt with before.

We're going with playing it by ear
confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, it does.

Especially as the bones get older, and have worked more, been hurt, etc.

On a related note, I'm really tired of the all or nothing rain we've been having. Since the beginning of August we haven't had just "some" rain, but a day or three at a time that destroys the property. Really tired of it.

We're having similar temps and rain conditions. This morning our weather station reported "It's raining cats and dogs out there" And there were some very strong winds up north. 39mph gusts here, 70mph in Bellingham. I lit the fire as much for comfort as for preparation in case the power goes out.

Have to agree that a fire feels extra-good when it's cold and damp outside. It's shoulder season still in MD, but I'm keeping the house at 75 because it feels great to walk into out of the rain and misty weather.

Eileen I'm burning tonight for just that reason. One small starter fire then 2 splits and a 2 1/4" inch round as a topper to trap the heat. Total burn time prob on the order of 5-6 hrs then down for the night.

jatoxico said:
Eileen I'm burning tonight for just that reason. One small starter fire then 2 splits and a 2 1/4" inch round as a topper to trap the heat. Total burn time prob on the order of 5-6 hrs then down for the night.

I was hoping the locals wood chime in :)

It's weird. Tomorrow will be weird, then down to cold for Turkey Day.

Mixing fire and water does sound funny, doesn't it? We are supposed to be up in the low 60's later this week (huh? - this is November!).

We were out of town last weekend. Came home to the after effects of quite some winds: An old oak wiskey barrel (yard decoration, the really big kind), had toppled over and caved in. We lost a small tarp - found it finally on Thursday. It had taken wings went down two houses, across two backyards and tangled itself in some bushes. The neighbor had 8 bags of leaves stashed to take to the recycling center - they disappeared, bags and all. :)

Suppose we shouldn't complain about the temps. Lousy night tonight though. Been getting rid of that less than perfect oak a little at a time and saving the biggest baddest locust chunks for the cold.

It's rainy in Chicago and cool around 40 or so. I'm burning like normal. Get some really hot fire going tonight, then let the fire die back overnight. I do agree that rain makes it feel cooler. Especially, if you have to tromp around in it to bring in more wood.

How much does wood go for on Long Island? Never having been there, I picture a very urban area or the Hamptons. I don't envision lots of forests to draw from.

Firecracker, South shore = ocean beaches, north shore more hilly very wooded. West end towards NYC = urban, east end many farms and a fair amount of open area. My area which is about half way point on north shore has abundant access to wood so scrounging not difficult if you have a truck. Wood by the the cord this time of year can be as low as $150 but some try to sell much higher. Some tree guys give away especially if you can pick up.

Shari said:
Mixing fire and water does sound funny, doesn't it? We are supposed to be up in the low 60's later this week (huh? - this is November!).

We were out of town last weekend. Came home to the after effects of quite some winds: An old oak wiskey barrel (yard decoration, the really big kind), had toppled over and caved in. We lost a small tarp - found it finally on Thursday. It had taken wings went down two houses, across two backyards and tangled itself in some bushes. The neighbor had 8 bags of leaves stashed to take to the recycling center - they disappeared, bags and all. :)

Same for us. We'll be about at 60 from Thursday - Monday with lows in the mid 30s

Can't wait until the rain stops. I forgot to bring in kindling, so I kind of need to keep the fires going or a cold start will be a pain.

BrowningBar....have you tried cutting up a bunch of 2X4's and keeping them in a box for the wet and snowy weather. I'm very novice compared to the veteran wood burners on here, but I put together about 6 big boxes of pine lumber cut-up and a storage tote full of sticks and bark. You are very right. Wet starts are really a pain be it icy wood or soaking wet during fall / spring.

I would imagine alot of that wood goes for outrageous amounts in NYC if any of those residents have row houses / townhomes in Manhattan with woodburning fireplaces.

Oh I'm sure some crazy prices are paid. Even on the rural east end (Hamptons etc) where you have a mix of year round folks vs the seasonal people, some will sell for big$$ but sure the locals know better.

firecracker_77 said:
BrowningBar....have you tried cutting up a bunch of 2X4's and keeping them in a box for the wet and snowy weather. I'm very novice compared to the veteran wood burners on here, but I put together about 6 big boxes of pine lumber cut-up and a storage tote full of sticks and bark. You are very right. Wet starts are really a pain be it icy wood or soaking wet during fall / spring.

I've been using my old cedar shake roof that I have stacked up between two trees. I break them down and fill up two copper barrels full at a time. Though I had the second barrel still full, but I didn't. Now my kindling will be wet for another 48-ish hours.

Not a big deal, just kind of a pain. Burning a little more wood that I should so I have enough coals to restart in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.