Burning with open door? Jotul F3 CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shub

Nov 4, 2011
Southern Maine
One those romantic nights, if I want to burn with the door open for aesthetics, I am going to guess that the air control on the front of the stove is essentially bypassed, but I don't know. If I install a damper in my stove pipe, would that help me keep the fire from burning too fast when the door is open? Because I don't think the air control is doing anything once I open it.

You are correct. When you leave the door open, that is a huge draft going into the stove. A damper would help with this.

If burning with the door open is approved by the appliance manufacturer, and you have the appropriate factory-supplied screen, then do it if you want to. Yes, you'll basically lose all control over combustion airflow through the appliance, so a stovepipe damper might be a good idea.

Don't worry about it. You are correct that the air control does nothing since you have opened that big hole to let air in. But the stove burns like crap open door so stick a screen in front of it and don't worry about needing a damper.

Been there. Done that. On a 33 foot liner. Just twice. And no, I will be selling the screen with the stove so it isn't available for sale.

I disagree with the comments about this being out of control. I have and occasionally use the fire screen with my Jotul 12 Firelight, catalytic predecessor of the Jotul 600. It provides nice ambience, and throws quite a bit of direct radiant heat with the doors open. Yes, you'll use more wood per hour than with the doors closed. No, it's not out of control. People have managed using open fireplaces for hundreds of years without catastrophe, and the stove burns like a fireplace when the doors are open, so you just load in two or three medium pieces at a time and enjoy. Don't load the stove up like you do for an overnight burn.

I did have a top-mounted damper on my flue, but never had it set to any position other than full open. After a squirrel got into the stove thru that damper one day when the stove was not running, I removed the damper and replaced it with a 3/4" mesh cap.

Joful, you might be mis-reading the out of control thing. I think what folks are saying is that the draft control is of no effect, not that the stove is out of control.

I'll bet that was some fun with that squirrel!

Right Steve. Lots of folks still enjoy doing that and it is understandable too.

IIRC the manual for my F600 recommends doing the typical three log thing for open fire viewing. I've done it a couple times on those rare cold winter evenings while reading a book. Very relaxing!

Don't add a damper for open burning. You want an unrestricted flow through the flue. It won't overheat, there's too much air mixing with the fire and the F3's firebox is small. Three 3" splits is a full house.

Status
Not open for further replies.