1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning without a liner

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by claybe, Dec 7, 2012.

1. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    We just moved and there is a fisher insert in the fireplace. I was up on the roof tonight to clean the liner but there is no liner and no cap. I guess this is a dumb question, but where does the rain and snow go if it is open to the world? Also, I burned a small fire tonight and every time I opened the door a big puff of smoke came out into the room. Any ideas there?

We have snow coming and want to use this stove. Any advice is appreciated. This is just a quick fix as we are about to bite the bullet on a blaze king princess!!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

Do not burn the stove as is. You are asking for a chimney fire.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    You need to pull the insert out and inspect the fireplace. You at least need a small section of liner going up to the throat of the fireplace flue. If it has a "direct connect" set-up, then clean everything and burn with a measure of caution. It's very uncommon for these old units to have a full liner, but sometimes they at least have a direct connect installation.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    First step I'd have the chimney cleaned and inspected. If this is a slammer install and the fireplace throat is large and short, there may not be enough draft until the chimney warms up, especially is this is a slammer install with no liner. Worse yet, it could be plugged.
  5. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I examined the chimney and it looks clean. There is a flue on the stove. It is not plugged because I got on the roof when it was burning and there was a lot of smoke coming out of the chimney. You are probably right about the chimney warming up to start a draft.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Is this in fact a fireplace insert, or is it a free standing stove? If you have a camera hit us with at pic of this setup.
  7. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    This is an insert.