Burning wood in free standing gas stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to burn wood this winter, I'm not using this to heat my entire home, only the large living area which doesn't have duct work run to it,

here is the version of the stove I have http://www.hearthofthehome.com/lines/earthstove/tg440.htm

The wood version is here http://www.fireplacesunlimited.com/woodstove-t150c.html

The block chimney was already set up and used for a Vermont Casting stove years ago. I would like to pull the electrical and gas lines out, block a couple of open vents in the back and place fire brick on the bottom, put a damper in the chimney and burn wood in it this winter as a supplement.

Is there any reason this won't work?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Your not going to get many favorable responses. It was never made to burn wood, and is not tested or listed for wood burning.
For the work & cash you'd be sinking in to it, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a Summers heat or Englander.

Welcome. The reason it won't work is safety. Neither the stove, the hearth nor the connecting flue were designed for wood heat. I would also guess that the clearances are not up to par. The gas unit needs to be pulled and gas line capped. If you can post a picture of the installation we can see if there are other issues that will need addressing.

I think that is by far the most unsafe idea that I have ever heard of on this site. I think you would be better off building a fire in your oven.

When I look inside wood burning stoves I see chunky firebrick, slabs of cast iron, and thick sheets of steel. The chimney liners are made of the same hi-temp stainless that they use in jet engines.

When I look inside gas appliances I see thin sheet metal baffles, pop rivets, and lightweight tubing. Well designed gas appliances can actually be vented through aluminum stacks.

I'm not saying one's built with less quality or cheaper than the other... I'm saying that they're built radically differently, because they burn radically different fuels... solid in one case, gaseous in the other.

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.