burning wood touching the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, it happens....

James02 said:
Eh, it happens....

+1

It'll leave a black spot that will disappear with the next burn.

Matt

Let it burn down rather than open the door and poke at it. It'll sure roll out burning pieces onto the lip.

I think the danger is when the log rolls and hits the door - I guess a big enough log with enough momentum could crack the glass, although I can't recall anyone on here actually claiming that happened to them. There is a split burning against the glass on my stove right now.

Wood burning stoves usually have ceramic glass which differs from tempered glass.
Ceramic glass can withstand continuous temperatures of nearly 1300°F, and has
excellent thermal shock resistance and impact strength. Unlike tempered glass,
its heat-resistant properties show no reduction over time.

Care in stacking your fuel load can minimize glass/wood impacts during the burn.
Larger splits on the bottom translates into less distance to fall vertically.
Larger splits in front usually means pieces fall towards the back.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "Work smarter, not harder."

EatenByLimestone said:
James02 said:
Eh, it happens....

+1

It'll leave a black spot that will disappear with the next burn.

Matt

+2

But be mindful about not torquing the door closed with an over-length split...the glass could crack.

+ what every other member has said . . . no big deal . . . just sometimes will make a mess of the door . . . until the next time you load up the stove and it burns off the black like magic.

Yeah, I had this concern a while back. So I searched and found it's a more common question than I thought.
In one thread someone said the ceramic is impact tested with a ball bearing being dropped on it... and another part of the test is being spray with water while at max temp.
Tough stuff.

I know it doesn't make much of a difference, but personally I gotta move that log when it rolls up against the glass. It just bothers me. It's like looking at a booger in someone's nose. I just gotta tell them about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.