Burnt smell from Accentra 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. That won't clean it properly. Hang on while I look on line.

Alright. Thanks for the help in advance. I appreciate it.

The only thing I can think of is that I banged the inside top of the unit kind of hard when I cleaned it prior to all of this happening (the burning smell). I got a pretty good static shock when I was cleaning and my arm just involuntarily tensed up causing me to bang the end of the vacuum on the inside top of the unit. Maybe some dust/lint fell because of that causing the esp to become coated. Anyways, just idle thoughts.

I would do a complete cleaning that includes your vent pipe. This should be done every ton, after 2 tons you are way overdue! When you pull the stove you will see the esp probe where the exhaust port lines up. 1/4 inch socket and a few twists are all that is needed to remove it for cleaning.

I have read the manual but I don't see where the ESP is shown on any diagram other than as a part you can order, unless I missed it? I guess it's somewhere on the exhaust vent? And how far would I have to pull it to access it? I only have about 3 inches in front of the unit to spare.

Thanks.

Edit: So can one just use a soft bristle brush up the exhaust without pulling the unit? I saw the harman video where they do that.
There is a video on the Harman website specific to your insert. The manual I saw shows the ESP clearly.
Alright. Thanks for the help in advance. I appreciate it.

The only thing I can think of is that I banged the inside top of the unit kind of hard when I cleaned it prior to all of this happening (the burning smell). I got a pretty good static shock when I was cleaning and my arm just involuntarily tensed up causing me to bang the end of the vacuum on the inside top of the unit. Maybe some dust/lint fell because of that causing the esp to become coated. Anyways, just idle thoughts.
Have to download an Adobe file but you CAN pull the insert farther than three inches. I assume you're talking that's all the hearth you have but you just support it with 2x4s or some,such when doing so. I easily pull mine two feet.

I would do a complete cleaning that includes your vent pipe. This should be done every ton, after 2 tons you are way overdue! When you pull the stove you will see the esp probe where the exhaust port lines up. 1/4 inch socket and a few twists are all that is needed to remove it for cleaning.
That's what I've been trying to tell him. . ..

Hmmm. OK. That was another thing I wasn't sure of, the dealer told me he would clean it at the end of the season. Never mentioned having to clean it every ton. So I guess I'd need some brushes to clean the vent pipe all the way up?

That's what I've been trying to tell him. . ..

Got it. So I'll need some sort of 2x4 support to get it out then. I'll see about putting something together to get it out then. Will I need some steel bars for the rollers or will the 2x4's be OK. I'm just wondering if the rollers will dig into the wood and then get stuck.

Thanks again.

Got it. So I'll need some sort of 2x4 support to get it out then. I'll see about putting something together to get it out then. Will I need some steel bars for the rollers or will the 2x4's be OK. I'm just wondering if the rollers will dig into the wood and then get stuck.

Thanks again.
You can put a piece of board across them. You don't need to pull it totally, maybe a foot and a half.

2x4's will work. Lowes sells a brush system in their dryer section that you can use for your vent pipe. Just be careful, they screw together and you do not want to turn them counter clockwise while in the pipe.

Hello, sorry to say this sounds too familiar....I had exactly the same issue a month ago, leading to half my stove being replaced. The burnt smell you are smelling is most likely coming from your hopper. The stove ignites, comes to temp, then the distribution blower stops but the fire keep up pretty high sending all that heat straight up into your hopper. all these nice pellets start warming up and emit a smell. Open up the hopper when this happens and take a whiff, it will be very hot in there. As soon as you make the distribution fan go by upping the temp, the issue subsides.

Why is this happening: we are not sure. did you unplug your stove when cleaning? my dealer suspected an ESP problem and/or circuit board issue - both were replaced! try running in room temp but leave the igniter in auto, see it that makes a difference. if the stove is clean, vent is clear and the issue continues - call your dealer for service.

If I can get Adobe reader to work I can pinpoint the ESP for you by page.

Hello, sorry to say this sounds too familiar....I had exactly the same issue a month ago, leading to half my stove being replaced. The burnt smell you are smelling is most likely coming from your hopper. The stove ignites, comes to temp, then the distribution blower stops but the fire keep up pretty high sending all that heat straight up into your hopper. all these nice pellets start warming up and emit a smell. Open up the hopper when this happens and take a whiff, it will be very hot in there. As soon as you make the distribution fan go by upping the temp, the issue subsides.

Why is this happening: we are not sure. did you unplug your stove when cleaning? my dealer suspected an ESP problem and/or circuit board issue - both were replaced! try running in room temp but leave the igniter in auto, see it that makes a difference. if the stove is clean, vent is clear and the issue continues - call your dealer for service.

I read your thread when I first had the issue. Not sure what happened either. I just was sitting there at night about a week ago and the distribution blower just stopped and it went off kind of loudly when it did turn off. Then the smell started. At first it was really acrid and then it seemed to get less strong in smell as time has gone on. I had to open windows and turn on all the fans in the house the first time.

My stove inside is pretty clean. As I mentioned I do the weekly cleaning pretty rigorously. Haven't pulled the unit yet. But I'll try and see if I can do so. I already called the dealer after the first night and the acrid burning smell. He said he never heard of it before but would be willing to come out if it continues since it's still under warranty.

And yes, the smell does seem to be coming from the hopper area. Still so in fact, just less strongly. And you're right if I keep the distribution blower going it kind of masks the issue which is why I ran in stove temp the last few days.

If I can get Adobe reader to work I can pinpoint the ESP for you by page.

Thanks. I keep looking but I can't seem to pinpoint it in the diagrams. I'm assuming the paper copy should be the same as the adobe I'm looking at from the harman website.

One thing, did yours still have the burnt smell issue even in auto room temp? When I do that it does seem to shut down and do OK without the smell. It's when I leave it in room temp manual that the smell occurs once the distribution blower stops.

I read your thread when I first had the issue. Not sure what happened either. I just was sitting there at night about a week ago and the distribution blower just stopped and it went off kind of loudly when it did turn off. Then the smell started. At first it was really acrid and then it seemed to get less strong in smell as time has gone on. I had to open windows and turn on all the fans in the house the first time.

My stove inside is pretty clean. As I mentioned I do the weekly cleaning pretty rigorously. Haven't pulled the unit yet. But I'll try and see if I can do so. I already called the dealer after the first night and the acrid burning smell. He said he never heard of it before but would be willing to come out if it continues since it's still under warranty.

And yes, the smell does seem to be coming from the hopper area. Still so in fact, just less strongly. And you're right if I keep the distribution blower going it kind of masks the issue which is why I ran in stove temp the last few days.

if you find the problem, please let me know. Sounds like you take good care of your stove, as I was doing, and the issue sounds too close to be just a fluke coincidence. My gut tells me either the ESP or the board are malfunctioning. Does it behave any differently when you run on room temp and then stay on Auto? also, if the issue does not show up on stove mode for you - check your room sensor connection...

OK. I called Harman. The ESP is on the right side where the flue collar hits the combustion chamber

if you find the problem, please let me know. Sounds like you take good care of your stove, as I was doing, and the issue sounds too close to be just a fluke coincidence. My gut tells me either the ESP or the board are malfunctioning. Does it behave any differently when you run on room temp and then stay on Auto? also, if the issue does not show up on stove mode for you - check your room sensor connection...

It doesn't happen on room temp and auto ignition. It only happens on room temp and manual ignition. And today I shut it off before leaving for work and I smelled the odor again faintly as it was shutting down, but that was after running in stove temp and auto ignition all night. The thing was blazing hot though. Even adjusting the stove temp setting down below 2 didn't seem to affect it that much in terms of adjusting the flame, it just kept feeding it pellets at what seemed like max rate.

Like F4jock mentioned perhaps I just need to clean the esp probe. Since it did seem to run OK in room temp manual for the first two months although I can't recall it ever really shutting off the distribution blower during that time in that mode either.

One thing, did yours still have the burnt smell issue even in auto room temp? When I do that it does seem to shut down and do OK without the smell. It's when I leave it in room temp manual that the smell occurs once the distribution blower stops.

switching to auto on room temp would have been the same as yours. the fan will come back on and the stove will go into shutdown. The difference is, when on manual, the stove goes into maint mode and should keep a small flame as the temp requirement had been reached. this is why the fan will shutdown only on manual as its programmed to allow this. once the sensor calls for heat again, the fan resumes. this is all normal. the issue with the smell is that flame in maint mode, that was supposed to be very small - is NOT small and is heating the hopper too much, causing the smell. So the stove does not throttle down. if this happens - its not normal. if it only happens on room temp - manual - check your room temp sensor connection and verify its working ok (there is an ice cube test of some sort). if the sensor is good, call for replacement parts. good chance you need to clean or replace the ESP, possibly a new CB. I don't know for sure as my problem was resolved by replacing them all!

It doesn't happen on room temp and auto ignition. It only happens on room temp and manual ignition. And today I shut it off before leaving for work and I smelled the odor again faintly as it was shutting down, but that was after running in stove temp and auto ignition all night. The thing was blazing hot though. Even adjusting the stove temp setting down below 2 didn't seem to affect it that much in terms of adjusting the flame, it just kept feeding it pellets at what seemed like max rate.

Like F4jock mentioned perhaps I just need to clean the esp probe. Since it did seem to run OK in room temp manual for the first two months although I can't recall it ever really shutting off the distribution blower during that time in that mode either.
DL the manual for the older Accentra insert and see pg 31.

switching to auto on room temp would have been the same as yours. the fan will come back on and the stove will go into shutdown. The difference is, when on manual, the stove goes into maint mode and should keep a small flame as the temp requirement had been reached. this is why the fan will shutdown only on manual as its programmed to allow this. once the sensor calls for heat again, the fan resumes. this is all normal. the issue with the smell is that flame in maint mode, that was supposed to be very small - is NOT small and is heating the hopper too much, causing the smell. So the stove does not throttle down. if this happens - its not normal. if it only happens on room temp - manual - check your room temp sensor connection and verify its working ok (there is an ice cube test of some sort). if the sensor is good, call for replacement parts. good chance you need to clean or replace the ESP, possibly a new CB. I don't know for sure as my problem was resolved by replacing them all!

I guess the difference with mine was that in room temp and manual ignition the flame does seem to die down (although it seems to be a larger "minimum maintenance flame" than it was last week). But it still smells even after the fire has been throttle down. That's what got me wondering. I am thinking it's probably the ESP is dirty allowing it to go to higher temps than before and thus the smell once the blower stops. It's also why I tried to run it in stove temp and adjusted the stove temp down to see if it would throttle down. It does throttle down but not very much even below a setting of two. So I guess I have to figure out how to get this thing out and clean the ESP first. At least eliminate one possibility first.

Did yours ever smell like something was burnt though? The first time it happened was the worst and I swear I thought either a LED light bulb had burnt out (the electronics on it) or something else was about to catch fire in my entertainment system.

Just be careful with it. Don't bend or abrade and clean out the chamber with it removed.

Got it. Just wipe it off and clean out the exhaust chamber with it out already.

I worked with thermocouples at work before. They're sturdy enough but you don't want to subject it to excess force, etc.

Thx guys .. disti fan kicked off last night, cleaned the ESP & everything else while I was there. Runs fine. Dusty Dry Creek pellets, won't touch em again.

Status
Not open for further replies.