1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Burried Outdoor Wood Boiler Possibility

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Bassprokd, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Bassprokd

Bassprokd New Member

Hello. I'm new to the boards. Just purchased a home that borders my land that we moved into. I've got lots of wood but the home only has s heat pump with electric backup. I intend on getting an outdoor wood boiler but had an idea I want to know is feasible. Only good place for boiler is 50 yards out of rear door. We have a walk out basement in side front corner of house with a paver retaining wall about 7ft tall. I want to know if there are any boiler designs that I could bury into the hill so the door essentially is in line with the pavers. I would then run the chimney up the gable side of the house. My air handler is in the basement and would be about a 16 ft run for the pipes. This would keep mess out of the house and be easy to fill on cold snowy days. Input/ideas? Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. salecker

salecker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Hi Bassprokd
    Welcome to Hearth
    I remember my Dad was going to build a Hausa Hut once.It is mostly in ground for heating water.
    You may have to build a cement boiler room to house the boiler in your wall.But i havn't heard of any boiler that you can bury,but if there is one someone on this board will let you know.
    Thomas
  3. Bassprokd

Bassprokd New Member

Yeah I was thinking I may need a concrete form to slide the unit into. I'm really not even sure if my county ordinance would even allow this. But it sure would be convenient and get the smoke up high. One main reason is the wind blows up the mountain onto my land which I hunt and my kids may build on. I want the smoke up above the house if possible.
  4. Standingdead

Standingdead Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Saratoga county, NY
    Keep in mind you have a lot of plumbing, electrical connections to make and sometimes maintain. You will need some working space around your boiler. Do you have room for an indoor boiler in your basement?
  5. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    One of the nicest approaches I've seen is to have an indoor gasifier installed in an insulated outbuilding with enough room for some 'indoor' wood storage and space to load and service the boiler. Some folks include heat storage in the outbuilding as well.

There's a lot of benefit to keeping the ash and wood mess out of the house, and there's a lot of benefit to being warm and dry when you're loading the boiler.

No reason an outbuilding couldn't be partly underground.
  6. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    One of my neighbors had a cement boiler in the ground. I think it was a concrete septic tank with modifications to dump in wood frm the top. He had pex coiled around it. Worked until the pex melted.....

Gg
  7. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    :oops:
  8. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    I should clarify it worked according to him. He also thought it was great to burn any thing he could fit in the thing.

gg
  9. salecker

salecker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Could you bury a shipping container in the hill and use that for your boiler room,wood storage ect.Make a door that looks like the pavers,and other than the smoke you will never see it,you could have storage in it as well.Or a section of culvert,a large tank i have 3 10,000 gal ones that would have plenty of room for a boiler,storage and a weeks worth of wood.
    Thomas