Buy now or wait until spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhhamm

Dec 16, 2009
Utah
I am getting ready to finish my basement, and I am planning on installing a pellet stove when I do. Currently the basement is not finished at all. I am trying to decide if I should by a stove now and use it to take the chill off while I work or if I would be better off waiting until spring and hope they discount pellet stove for the end of the season. As of right now I am planning on buying a Harman not exactly sure wich model yet (XXV,P68,P61, or P43).
My basement is just under 2000 sq. feet with the same upstairs. I don't really intend to heat the whole house just supplement my forced natural gas system. We had a pellet stove in our last house and loved the fact that we could relax in the basement at a toasty 75 and the rest of the house was around 68.

Any input would be helpful I don't know if they discount them much in the off season or if I would be risking not being able to pick one up.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Burn What. As for discounts, I personally don't think there will be a huge discount in the spring. Some companies run specials in the spring (Englander), and in the fall (Travis Ind.), but not many others.

Have you given any thought to getting a used stove on Craigs List? I've seen some great deals there....you just have to be patient.

The other side of the coin is that if you buy new, you get the 30% tax credit on your federal tax return.

Right now the price for gas & oil is pretty low, so demand for pellet stoves is somewhat low, but if the prices go up...watch out!

I have been watching for used ones, and have gone out and looked at one. The one I looked at was only three years old according to the owner, but it was in very bad shape. I don't know what they did to it but it was missing a lot of paint, and he didn't even clean it to show it to me. The others that have been listed I felt that they were asking for to much money. When they want 2000 dollars for a used Astoria (I have seen two different Astoria's for sale), and I can buy a new Harman for just a little more after the tax break plus have a warranty. We have a lot of usd Englanders for sale I just don't like the looks of them. I did just miss an old Lopi Firefox that was sold for 500, it was only listed for five hours before it sold.

look now you never know when you can find a deal i just picked up a englander for my dad for $500 two years old in good shape. some people get them and then find out they are as easy as they thought

Hey Burn what..I wouldn't wait. I agree with Macman with Harman they really don't give much of a discount. Plus, if you install it in the spring your going to want to burn it. Thats a few month wait that I couldn't live. I think with the tax rebate and the price of pellets so low in some areas I think it will be a wash on savings. I also would be a little cautious on used stoves from unexperienced pellet burners. These are appliances that require maintenance. You also mention you moved into this house and I would assume you're planning on staying there awhile. I think you'd want a stove that will be reliable and keep you toasty warm. So in my opinion take the plunge and enjoy pellet burning again! My2C

burn what said:
I have been watching for used ones, and have gone out and looked at one. The one I looked at was only three years old according to the owner, but it was in very bad shape. I don't know what they did to it but it was missing a lot of paint, and he didn't even clean it to show it to me. The others that have been listed I felt that they were asking for to much money. When they want 2000 dollars for a used Astoria (I have seen two different Astoria's for sale), and I can buy a new Harman for just a little more after the tax break plus have a warranty. We have a lot of usd Englanders for sale I just don't like the looks of them. I did just miss an old Lopi Firefox that was sold for 500, it was only listed for five hours before it sold.

Right now on Ebay you can buy a refurbished (full factory warranty) Timber Ridge for $700 (if you get lucky and win it for the lowest bid) and that includes shipping. Add $50 to have it shipped to your door. Knock off the 30% tax rebate and you got a like new stove for $490
Can hardly go wrong with a deal like that.

burn what said:
.....When they want 2000 dollars for a used Astoria (I have seen two different Astoria's for sale).........

Burn, don't overlook the Astoria's, even though their used. I had one and loved it....NEVER had a problem with. Depending on what year they are, $2000 might not be bad. I paid $1500 in Aug. 2008 for mine, and it was a dealer showroom-used 2005...great stove, and HUGE hopper (100Lbs +)! if you watch the forum for a while, you very rarely see anyone have problems with Lopi/Avalon stoves.

Also, don't forget the tax credit that's available for new stove installations. If you install the stove in 2009 you get a tax credit against your 2009 taxes. If you install the stove in 2010, the credit goes against your 2010 taxes.

Harman and Quadrafire had the promo back in spring/Summer, must likely they'll have it again next sprint.

Valhalla said:
Buy it now. Reward yourself and heat your house!

I agree. Why wait to enjoy it. Most sales are too late in the season, so you will miss out on this one. Just be fruggle with your pellet purchase's and you can recoup a little.

The added enjoyment is priceless.

jm$0.02

Hello burn what,

Made a decision? Going to be a pellet stove owner?
Please keep Hearth.com folks here in the loop.
It looks like another cold winter; aren't they all.

Hope you are burning wisely and safely very soon!

I think I am going to wait until spring I have not started finishing my basement yet, and I don't want to have to work around the stove. I am without a doubt going to put one in. I am still trying to figure out the best way to run the pipe. I am going to have an issue once the pipe get outside its going to be below the minimum height of 18". The easiest way around it would be to use 90 deg. turns but if I remeber right you cannot have more than three. I would have one coming out of the stove one to send it thru the wall one to take it up a little more and another to send it horizonta' again. The only solution I have come up with is to use 45 deg. angels on the last two. Anyone else have an idea.

burn what said:
I think I am going to wait until spring I have not started finishing my basement yet, and I don't want to have to work around the stove. I am without a doubt going to put one in. I am still trying to figure out the best way to run the pipe. I am going to have an issue once the pipe get outside its going to be below the minimum height of 18". The easiest way around it would be to use 90 deg. turns but if I remeber right you cannot have more than three. I would have one coming out of the stove one to send it thru the wall one to take it up a little more and another to send it horizonta' again. The only solution I have come up with is to use 45 deg. angels on the last two. Anyone else have an idea.

Fully understand the basement project issue. I can relate fully.

Is this to be flex or rigid? Have you asked any
pros / dealers for a quote or two? Is the stove to
be in the basement? I would assume so.

Some folks have an issue getting the heat upstairs.
Holes and registers are not the safest ways. Can it
go on the floor above, the main floor. Since it
is a space heater it will provide more effective
BTUs to the living area around it.

Maybe a clean sheet approach is necessary?
Keep us in the loop. Good luck!

I think last year Harman had a $600 off sale. I would keep calling your local dealer each month and asking if the sale started for 2010. With the sales of decent quality pellet stoves so slow, manufacturers and retailers should be willing to move their inventory at the end of the season.

Its a new install in a basement. I want it in the basement for heat in the basement. I might add a circulation fan into my duct work just to extract the heat from the room its going to be in if the temperatures get to high. Its going to be heating our theater room/ game room. Basements are usually hard to keep heated without being on a system of their own. I am just going to add duct work to my existing forced air furnace and supplement the heat with the stove. We like a nice toasty room for watching movies in the winter. I am guessing that once its all done we will spend most of our time in the basement in the winter and in the summer. Its kind of a great room set up it will have a little kitchenett a game area and then a theater room. Its probably 900 square feet of open area. Then we will have two bedrooms, a craftroom. and a bathroom. I am probably going overboard on the size of pellet stove I want to get but you can never have too much power. I will probably end up with a P61, 68 or XXV, or maybe a Mt. Vernnon.

Status
Not open for further replies.