Buyer Beware!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicon 327

Jan 6, 2010
Cromwell, Connecticut
I know we all try to support our local vendors when we can but when my auger motor went down last week I jumped on the internet looking for a less expensive motor than what the dealer/stealer wanted. I came across Jason Munson who sells pellet stove parts on Ebay and called his cell which he provides on his listings on Ebay to find out if he had the actual auger motor I needed for my unit. He called me late in the day on my way home from work and I pulled over to talk to him and he said he could get me that motor and it would take a few days to ship out which I understood. The motor came in quicker than expected but that was due to the fact that it is drop shipped from his supplier I believe.

Everything looked good except for the fact that my motor has a hole in the auger shaft for a cotter pin and his motor didn't.....no biggie I'll figure something out. I was able to swap out my motor shaft with his by taking the assembly apart. Like a 1st time fool I installed the motor without checking the rotation of the motor 1st. Well, of course I put the stove all back together and sealed up with silicone only to find out the auger motor is turning the wrong way! I got on the phone with Jason and asked him about reversing the rotation of the motor myself without sending it back and he said "it will significantly reduce the life of the motor by doing that" and that I needed to send it back for the right one. He tells me to email him the stove info again so he can email me a return form to fill out and to send him a tracking number so he can send out the correct motor....but I need to do it soon as he is leaving for a racquetball game!

I get the email the next day but when I try to print off the return form it locks up my printer.....I try a bunch of times and different ways and can't get it to print. I email Jason and ask him to please fax it to me as I can't seem to print it out and this is what I get from his "assistant" Loraine.....Sorry but we don't have a fax currently available.

Wow.....really? no other solution like "I'll mail it out to you"....or "we'll just send the new motor with the form in the box, fill it out and send both of them back to us"........nope just "Sorry but we don't have a fax currently available"!

I'm sorry, but in my line of work being a service oriented company this is unacceptable! A customer has a pellet stove that is down in the middle of the winter and this is the best you can come up with? Now if I pitched a fit and made a big deal about it they might do something but it shouldn't even have to get that far.

He had a few bad feed back on Ebay but so have other people I have dealt with and still had good results so I took a chance that I would have no problems.

My biggest complaint is lack of customer service and not getting it right the 1st time......must have been late for his afternoon racquetball game that afternoon also when I first ordered it

So this is just a buyer beware about Jason Munson to you all here.

Oh and FYI, After doing more research I found another auger motor on Amazon from CSH Inc. for half of what I paid Jason and on the description page about the motor it tells you exactly how to reverse to motor yourself and nothing about any negative effects it may have on the motor by doing so....which I was skeptical about from the get go.

Stepping off my soap box now! ;)

Make sure you post NEGATIVE FEEDBACK! That's the only way you can warn other buyers of this Seller's issues. And make sure you return the non-working motor back to him. If you are still unable to print out the return label to send the non-working motor back and paid with Paypal, make sure you file an "item not as described" claim in Paypal to get your money back that way. The least you should get is your money back for all your trouble! I used to sell on Ebay and hate returns but it's part of the business so we just suck it up. That doesn't mean we can provide bad service hoping the buyer will go away. A claim with Paypal is better in getting your money back versus through Ebay. Good luck!

Reactions: mdafjal786
I replaced mine from CHD and its a solid unit for way cheaper

You should bring up your dissatisfaction with Loraine's answer directly with Jason as she isn't responsible for the lack of a fax machine and they already emailed the form to you. You also could have asked that it be mailed to you.

Buying anything is always a buyer beware situation.

Hey, PM me the return slip and I'll fax it to you.

NEWS FLASH
Next Day after this thread was locked, Jason Muson started a new thread to explain. Take it as you may.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88319/

Jason Munson said:
Well its Jason Munson here and my face is a bit red from embarrassment over this situation. Let me take accountability for a few things. Number one it looks like the wrong part was sent out. Regardless of why, it’s my responsibility to make sure my customers get the right stuff.

Number two it looks like this didn’t get handled as quickly as it needed to for your satisfaction. Yes, we emailed you the form to send it back and yes you had a printer problem. Then we tried faxing it to you and we kept getting an error message saying your fax machine wouldn’t accept our fax. We could have just mailed it to you but Loraine went ahead and just arrange for you to send it back and we would deal with it on our end.

The form is very helpful for me to fix this stuff asap which is why I try to have you send it. It’s not meant to complicate anything. The intention is to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I’m sorry it turned out to be so frustrating.

I have setup this business so that I can service as many customers as possible. My assistant Loraine is a 31 year old single mom who works from her home. I have another company that supplies and ships all of my parts for me. I focus on answering the phone calls and technical support questions. The advertised phone number (530)-409-5051 is my personal cell phone number and yes I do answer it all the time even when it’s not convenient for me. In this instance a call took place as I was pulling into the parking lot at the gym. It would be really easy to just not take calls like that and let them go to voicemail. It would be even easier to have someone else answer the phone. How many stove shop owners give you their cell phone numbers? How many CEO’s of small businesses like mine advertise their cell numbers so the customers can talk to them directly rather than an employee?

The truth is I really do care about all of you out there and I want things to go right for you. I heat my house with a pellet stove too and I realize that a mistake on my end means your family could be going cold. I really try to think of how I would want to be treated if I were in your position and do my best to make sure you get the best possible service from me.

I wish I could say I have the process perfected but I don’t. When stuff like this happens the best I can do is to take care of it as quickly as possible and in the best way possible. I have team members to help me out as there is way too much for me to do and these people can make mistakes too which has made the problem worse in this instance.
David, this is my public apology to you for the trouble you have experienced. Forgive me for neglecting this situation to the extent that it has gone. I’m more than happy to refund your money or send you the correct part for free. If you would please respond on this forum or send me an email or call me with what you would like I’ll be more than happy to do it.

Best Wishes,

Jason Munson

hotdawg said:
Make sure you post NEGATIVE FEEDBACK! That's the only way you can warn other buyers of this Seller's issues. And make sure you return the non-working motor back to him. If you are still unable to print out the return label to send the non-working motor back and paid with Paypal, make sure you file an "item not as described" claim in Paypal to get your money back that way. The least you should get is your money back for all your trouble! I used to sell on Ebay and hate returns but it's part of the business so we just suck it up. That doesn't mean we can provide bad service hoping the buyer will go away. A claim with Paypal is better in getting your money back versus through Ebay. Good luck!

Thanks hotdawg but when he called me on my way home from work is when I ordered it so it wasn't technically ordered through ebay it was ordered over the phone. Wish it were though as I would post a negative feed back.

Gee........all that just to "beat" the local dealer, your right buyer beware.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You should bring up your dissatisfaction with Loraine's answer directly with Jason as she isn't responsible for the lack of a fax machine and they already emailed the form to you. You also could have asked that it be mailed to you.

Buying anything is always a buyer beware situation.

You know when after dealing with certain people you get the feeling they really don't give a f@#* .......well now that I look back on the whole thing and Jason being more concerned about racquetball games than customer service and Loraines answer to my email being what it was........well, that is the feeling I get and feel it is going to be wasted time to complain however I did tell them in my return email, see below.

Wow, that's it?

How about telling me you can mail me the form? or send it with the motor I need and I'll send back when I get the motor you should have sent me because I told you what model I had when I ordered it and you should have got it right from the start.......sorry, Jason must have had a racquetball game to get to I guess and wasn't paying attention to details!

This is the worst business I have dealt with off Ebay by far. Customer service is not a priority I can see that! A customer with a pellet stove that is down with a bad auger motor in the middle of winter and this is your only answer?

And as far as the "Buying anything is always a buyer beware situation". I understand that and am just passing along the experience for others to view and take from it what they will.....that is all.

humpin iron said:

From what I have been seeing they all sell the same thing....some just choose to bump up the price significantly. And from what I see they are all Merkle-Korff motors. And my original from USSC isn't quite 2 years old yet when it died, so I'm not banking on a replacement from USSC being any better than Jason or Amazon.

USSC $216.49

Jason Munson $129.00

Amazon $59.95

superchips said:

Thank you superchips I really appreciate that! However seeing the road that this would take if I sent it back I decided to reverse the motor and take my chances with it. I just have a feeling that if I sent it back there would be credit issues and what not and would probably still end up with the same motor!

But Thank You Again!

Rubicon 327 said:
superchips said:

Thank you superchips I really appreciate that! However seeing the road that this would take if I sent it back I decided to reverse the motor and take my chances with it. I just have a feeling that if I sent it back there would be credit issues and what not and would probably still end up with the same motor!

But Thank You Again!

Yea, since you see how to reverse the coil, just do it and avoid all the aggravation. Good luck!!!

Are you serious?
You asked if they could fax the form and you got the proper answer to that question. They don't have one of those archaic fax machines. You didn't asked them to mail the form so why would you expect them to offer that after they had already gotten the form to you in pretty much the fastest way possible. You also shouldn't expect them to send you another motor without you sending them a form/tracking number because there are a lot of people out there that will try to screw a company over and just keep the item. Instead of coming here and flaming this guy's business why didn't you just responded to "Loraine" with "Could you please mail me the form then? Thank You"? Also, you should really get your printer fixed because a pdf or document doesn't just "lock up" a printer. Faxes are going by the wayside, as they should be, and email is replacing it. Also, you should be thankful he let you know about the racquetball game. He had a prior commitment scheduled, it doesn't matter what it is, but he let you know so that he could help you out as quick as possible.

dtaylor said:
Are you serious?
You asked if they could fax the form and you got the proper answer to that question. They don't have one of those archaic fax machines. You didn't asked them to mail the form so why would you expect them to offer that after they had already gotten the form to you in pretty much the fastest way possible. You also shouldn't expect them to send you another motor without you sending them a form/tracking number because there are a lot of people out there that will try to screw a company over and just keep the item. Instead of coming here and flaming this guy's business why didn't you just responded to "Loraine" with "Could you please mail me the form then? Thank You"? Also, you should really get your printer fixed because a pdf or document doesn't just "lock up" a printer. Faxes are going by the wayside, as they should be, and email is replacing it. Also, you should be thankful he let you know about the racquetball game. He had a prior commitment scheduled, it doesn't matter what it is, but he let you know so that he could help you out as quick as possible.

X2

Rubicon 327 said:
humpin iron said:

From what I have been seeing they all sell the same thing....some just choose to bump up the price significantly. And from what I see they are all Merkle-Korff motors. And my original from USSC isn't quite 2 years old yet when it died, so I'm not banking on a replacement from USSC being any better than Jason or Amazon.

USSC $216.49

Jason Munson $129.00

Amazon $59.95

Depending upon the speed and availability at the moment might be had for under $20.00 at the Surplus Center.

I bought a new motor for a stove a few years back, and it came with a little instruction sheet on how to reverse the rotation.

I would just get that motor reversed and get the stove running.

After the fire is up and going, you can sit at the puter and call down some heavy smack on the ebay doofus.

Good luck

Snowy

Really dtaylor?

Knowing a customer is having a problem printing out a return form and that you as the seller/customer service person wouldn't offer up another way to get what I need another possible way with out me asking is too much in your eyes? I guess I expect way to much.

It is what I believe they call customer service and some companies will find other solutions to customers problems without the customer having to figure it out for them and that is what sets them apart from from the dtaylor's of the business world ......but hey I've only been running my business the same way that 2 generations before me have been running it with the same idea on customer service since 1957 and it has worked for us and our customers appreciate it.......but hey, what do I know right?

As for the fax machine, some still have them and some don't and I just asked. I bought a new computer set up for my business 3 years ago and the printer that came with the package is also a scanner and fax machine also. So I don't think they are doing away with them as quickly as you would like.

Yes I was being hard on him for having a life and a racquetball game in the middle of the day.......what was I thinking about with my business inter fearing with his pleasure during his business hours. I don't know....I guess maybe I was expecting someone to be working the business when they were open but then maybe he only works a half day I just don't know and can't say.

For the record I never said they couldn't charge me for the 2nd motor and then credit me when they got the return.....but that just goes back to that whole crazy customer service thing that I'm all hung up on. And I also did respond to Loraine but still have yet to hear from her.

Snowy Rivers said:
I bought a new motor for a stove a few years back, and it came with a little instruction sheet on how to reverse the rotation.

I would just get that motor reversed and get the stove running.

After the fire is up and going, you can sit at the puter and call down some heavy smack on the ebay doofus.

Good luck

Snowy

Thanks Snowy!

But I'm not looking to bash him anymore than I already have........which I didn't think was that bad to begin with but some seem to think I was rather harsh and I am in the wrong.

I was just putting my experience out there for others here to see, and they can make their own decision to deal with him or not.

If I had read on here that someone like you Snowy, had a problem with him and knowing the type of person I think you are from reading comments you have posted on this web site here I would be very hesitant to deal with him. As opposed to reading some poor feed back from someone I don't know at all.

Wow, what a horror story! It's totally their fault you don't know how to make your printer work! SHAME ON THEM!

lol

Reversing the direction causes no harm. And doesnt decrease the life of the motor???

To be such a Big Ebay seller and not know that about an Auger motor?? Wow..

Just flip the C-frame.. Not hard. Many, Many threads on here about it. I had to do it to my Auger for my Englander (CSH inc / good deal). Took 2 minutes and it was done..

dtaylor said:
Are you serious?

Awfully opinionated for someone who's been a member for 6 whole days....

Harman Lover 007 said:
dtaylor said:
Are you serious?

Awfully opinionated for someone who's been a member for 6 whole days....

What does the amount of time I've had a registered account here have anything to do with having my own opinion?
The seller and his secretary could be total airheads, i don't know, but just because they couldn't read their customer's mind and didn't have a fax machine shouldnt mean they get trashed as badly as they did. Now if the OP had included the fact that he had responded to the seller telling them that he would like the form either mailed or that he would like to be charged for a second motor and to just include the form in that shipment and then they ignored him, then of course my opinion would be different.

76brian said:
Wow, what a horror story! It's totally their fault you don't know how to make your printer work! SHAME ON THEM!

lol

I know huh.....just like files that get sent are never corrupt and always open and look as the sender intended! ;)

Geez guys, it's only Tuesday! Let's all back off and take a deep breath. Right or wrong, I would be frustrated too if I didn't get the motor needed to get my stove working again. Let the OP vent if he has too. There's always a risk factor when ordering on line, even from the big guys like Amazon. It's just part of doing business on the internet. I'm old schooled. I like to be able to pop into a store and pick up the pieces I need for the piece of mind of having it in my hands and also having a person to deal with face to face if something goes wrong. You do end up having to pay a premium for some of these gadgets like that but either way, no need to jump down each other's throats. Hopefully OP has his stove back on line again and all will be good!

HAPPY TUESDAY TO ALL!!

hotdawg said:
Geez guys, it's only Tuesday! Let's all back off and take a deep breath. Right or wrong, I would be frustrated too if I didn't get the motor needed to get my stove working again. Let the OP vent if he has too. There's always a risk factor when ordering on line, even from the big guys like Amazon. It's just part of doing business on the internet. I'm old schooled. I like to be able to pop into a store and pick up the pieces I need for the piece of mind of having it in my hands and also having a person to deal with face to face if something goes wrong. You do end up having to pay a premium for some of these gadgets like that but either way, no need to jump down each other's throats. Hopefully OP has his stove back on line again and all will be good!

HAPPY TUESDAY TO ALL!!

I hear ya!

It's all good with me. I was just trying to warn people is all and I was mostly disappointed with what I felt was a lack of customer service. Some people thought I was bashing some thought I expected them to be mind readers and some feel I don't know how to open and print a file.......what ever the case maybe I stated my gripe on here just to let others be aware.

If some people feel I am wrong then by all means support him I have no problem with it, but anyone who walks away from reading this and thinks I am right in some regards and they ever happen to need to deal with him may think twice if some of what I have said made any sense to them.

I didn't really think I came on here swinging that hard and hammered him like some people seem to think, I have seen people trash other companies a lot worse than what I have on other forums not saying that's right just didn't think what I had to say was all that bad.......I don't think I said one bad thing about his mother once! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.