Buying a New Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenwayfan81

Feb 6, 2013
southern NH
Good Morning Everyone,

So i have decided top buy a new stove for our house. After this brutal winter i have realized ttwo things. 1. My little Englander 25pdvc is not big enough to heat my house and 2. I dont enjoy lugging up 2 bags a day just to keep the stove full. So i have a large Colonial style house, new windows and decent insulation. We have a large living room over our garage and i plan on moving the englaner to that room instead of using a space heater(Very high ceiling). Last year the englander did great and still does above 32 degrees but when it get downs below that it just cant keep up, i had to run oil all winter and supplement with the pellet stove. My question for everyone is which stove would be best for my home. Its over 2500 sqft. This new stove will not be a basement dweller and will be in a formal living room so noise is not as big of a issue. I have been looking at the Enviro Maxx-m because of the BTU value and large fan. Does anyone have any other recommendations? also do i really need the Maxx-M or will the Maxx be better? it says it is more efficent than the M. Thank you everyone i do appreciate all of your help.

Also i was wondering what is a good price to pay for a new stove in southern NH, I have been quoted $3600 for a Maxx-M

Remember, if you want more heat, you will have to be 'lugging up' MORE bags per day since bags = btu's. Since you are already familiar with Englander's, why not entertain the notion of getting a bigger one from AMFMENERGY.COM? Good stove and good service from Englander. That 55-TRPIP Timber Ridge is a pretty thing.

I have the IP from englander. I am new to pellet stoves I installed it on 2/2 and it has done a great job of heating my house. When we had a few nights of below zero I had to help with my oil burner on the upper floor of the house. I have only used an 1/8 of a tank of oil since I did the install and prior I was using 150 gallons in 4 weeks . So i am pleased so far.

Reactions: becasunshine
That IP is a beautiful stove.

Reactions: becasunshine
Corey designed it. Since Corey went to work for Harman he hasn't been heard from here. Fortifies my belief that it is a firing offense at Harman to communicate with anybody that owns one. >>

I miss him. Great guy and folks here chipped in to send him to HPBA where he hooked up with ESW while he was still in college. But he always lusted to work with Dane.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Here is good deal I saw on Craigs List in Western Mass. for a 1 year used Harman Advanced for $2200. This stove is slightly more work to clean than the other Harmans. I can clean mine in under 45 minutes every 2 to 3 weeks.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/hsh/4360433562.html

Maybe you could consider a heat pump....lessen the need for humping pellets around and at COP of 4 or more these can be cheaper than pellets to operate and no maintenance!!

I use a St Croix Hastings. My entire house is 2400 sqft but the stove resides upstairs on the main level. It will heat my entire upstairs for 1 bag per day in the dead of winter, less on warmer days.

I like that IP as well. We strongly considered putting it in the house at the river. Because of the remote location and the possibility of losing power for several days during big ice storms, we've opted to put a wood stove out here. But I do love the looks of that IP.

Good Morning Everyone,

So i have decided top buy a new stove for our house. After this brutal winter i have realized ttwo things. 1. My little Englander 25pdvc is not big enough to heat my house and 2. I dont enjoy lugging up 2 bags a day just to keep the stove full. So i have a large Colonial style house, new windows and decent insulation. We have a large living room over our garage and i plan on moving the englaner to that room instead of using a space heater(Very high ceiling). Last year the englander did great and still does above 32 degrees but when it get downs below that it just cant keep up, i had to run oil all winter and supplement with the pellet stove. My question for everyone is which stove would be best for my home. Its over 2500 sqft. This new stove will not be a basement dweller and will be in a formal living room so noise is not as big of a issue. I have been looking at the Enviro Maxx-m because of the BTU value and large fan. Does anyone have any other recommendations? also do i really need the Maxx-M or will the Maxx be better? it says it is more efficent than the M. Thank you everyone i do appreciate all of your help.
A bit confusing. Your PVDC is too small, and so you want a bigger stove, but you hate carrying pellets. With the bigger stove, you'll carry more pellets than ever!

I would think about a pellet furnace or boiler with a multi-ton pellet bag for bulk delivery. Your house sounds big enough, 2500sqft, you live in NH, which has a rebate on a pellet furnace system, and you have an existing oil burner system where you can use the ducting, if furnace, or radiant baseboard if boiler. Then you don't have to carry pellets.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.