Buying on ebay and tax credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I'm thinking of buying my stove and liner off of ebay, from chimney liner depots online ebay store. Do you think I will have a problem getting the tax credit come tax time? I would think I should get a receipt and it should work but I am skeptical.

Thanks

Just be sure Glen gives you a itemized receipt and there shouldn't be any problem.

As long as you have a manufacture certificate of complaince you should be good to go.But ask your tax advisor also. You are only allowed a total of $1500. in tax credit for that year.so if you are claiming other things that give you a tax credit the total can not go over $1500.

Daryl said:
As long as you have a manufacture certificate of complaince you should be good to go.But ask your tax advisor also. You are only allowed a total of $1500. in tax credit for that year.so if you are claiming other things that give you a tax credit the total can not go over $1500.

Slight correction. The tax credits cannot total more than $1,500 for tax years 2009 and 2010 combined.

BrotherBart said:
Daryl said:

2009 and 2010 combined.

Oh that's a bummer.......... :grrr:

Is that per item or $1500.00 total?

Like say insulation,stove,furnace,ect???

$1,500 total, combined, the whole magilla, everything.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that solar panels, solar water heaters, ground heat pumps were not included in the same line on the tax form.
So you would get 30% but up to $1500 for your stove/insert, and 30% uncapped for the other improvements. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.