buying used stoves and stove lifes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red247dog

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
maine
Was looking at buying a used PE Spectrum (like the Super 27). I think five or so years old with a new baffle, but not sure about the age. How long can a stove be expected to last if you heat only with wood/ 24/7 burning?

What is a typical life span for one of the newer EPA stoves. I guess they may not have been around long enough to know, not sure when PE started making this particular line. Can one expect to get 20 years out of it?

What do you think is a fair price for such a stove, and does anyone have any positive/negatives about this particular stove

For what I just paid for mine, it better out last me. My bother has an old dutchwest with the cat removed, its 20 years and still going good

If you take care of it, it will last past the point of you being sick of it and wanting the latest thing.

I just sold an All Nighter Mid Moe built in 1979 and it worked great. The only reason I sold it was to buy a more efficient one.

chrisr said:
Was looking at buying a used PE Spectrum (like the Super 27). I think five or so years old with a new baffle, but not sure about the age. How long can a stove be expected to last if you heat only with wood/ 24/7 burning?

What is a typical life span for one of the newer EPA stoves. I guess they may not have been around long enough to know, not sure when PE started making this particular line. Can one expect to get 20 years out of it?

What do you think is a fair price for such a stove, and does anyone have any positive/negatives about this particular stove

Well, it depends on the stove. The lower end stoves made with 3/16" plate steel would probably last 8-12 years burning 24-7

That PE is a VERY heavy stove with a 3/8" steel top. It should last 20 years or more.
That one might have been fired pretty hard to need a new baffle after only 5 years, though. If you are considering buying this stove, examine the interior of the stove closely for any warped parts, indicating overfiring.

Most interior parts are replaceable but I would take any parts that need replacing into consideration when negotiating the purchase price.

If nothing needs replacing and the stove is in very good shape, then i would say 500-600 bucks.

chrisr said:

24/7 What? 8-10 months a year, 3-4 month's a year. Theres a lot of deference in run time for hours for the month's used. Ive seen lots of 25 year old stoves fed pine its whole life burnin 24/7 for 8 months a year. Ive seen some 4yrs old and time for the scrap yard.
It still comes down to how its been run just like a car. Of course there is deprecation with age unless you talk to a PE owner and they compare them to a rare Corvette and now the price has gone up. :lol: I think the things to check out are what Jimbob has said. & Good luck on whatever you purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.