Buying wood by the pound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Has anybody heard of this? I love the idea, because the wood lot in question lets you pick out exactly what you want. This is seasoned wood we are talking about.

Oak or Cedar Pinon 18 cents per pound
Pine 13 cents per pound

Will filling up a truckbed cost me a fortune or do these prices sound in line?

Most of the prices I've been getting around here are for "mixed" hardwood and softwood..... A cord for 150-200 if you pick it up yourself. Delivered can cost more....

If that oak is bone dry then you are paying $500 a cord. Seven to nine cents a pound would make more sense.

IMHO.

Ran a few approximate numbers for wood density, figured in 20% airspace in a stacked cord, and came to the same conclusion as BB...my numbers danced all around his at about $500.00/cord at that asking price...not a good deal. Keep looking! Rick

...and green wood is a whole lot heavier than seasoned wood.

Don't know about there, but here it's illegal to sell or advertise wood by the pound, rick, cord, truckload etc. It's only supposed to be sold in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters.
Of course, enforcement is another matter. I've never read of action being taken against anyone for not following this law.

elmoleaf said:
Don't know about there, but here it's illegal to sell or advertise wood by the pound, rick, cord, truckload etc. It's only supposed to be sold in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters.
Of course, enforcement is another matter. I've never read of action being taken against anyone for not following this law.

So is fireworks and stealing but people still do it! Good luck and buy your firewood by the cord!!!

Everybody already knows that Ricks are meaningless and should just be outlawed completely. Just ask my wife. Rick

Air dried red oak typically is rated at 3500 lbs/cord, so at 0.18/lb, that's $630/cord.

Actually, buying by the pound, and assuming you know average moisture, probably is more accurate that by the cord. Around here most mills buy by the pound, not cord, and there are "standard" conversions for green wood lb to cord. That said, how the heck do you hold a seller honest if you buy by the pound? Who has a scale to check?

jebatty said:
Air dried red oak typically is rated at 3500 lbs/cord, so at 0.18/lb, that's $630/cord.

Actually, buying by the pound, and assuming you know average moisture, probably is more accurate that by the cord. Around here most mills buy by the pound, not cord, and there are "standard" conversions for green wood lb to cord. That said, how the heck do you hold a seller honest if you buy by the pound? Who has a scale to check?

They weigh your vehicle on the way in and then on the way out.....

Might be a good deal if I bring 200 gallons of water in with me and drain that while I'm loading my wood...... :)

sl7vk said:
jebatty said:

They weigh your vehicle on the way in and then on the way out.....

Might be a good deal if I bring 200 gallons of water in with me and drain that while I'm loading my wood...... :)

Our landfill used to weigh you going in and coming out and charge by the pound. One day, after tossing the trash bags, I picked up a couple of heavy items at the "Too Good To Waste" site there and weighed more coming out than going in. Good long argument but I refused to pay them anything and they finally gave in. I told them I should be charging them for the removal of the crap.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1215924174?]

Our landfill used to weigh you going in and coming out and charge by the pound. One day, after tossing the trash bags, I picked up a couple of heavy items at the "Too Good To Waste" site there and weighed more coming out than going in. Good long argument but I refused to pay them anything and they finally gave in. I told them I should be charging them for the removal of the crap.[/quote]

Don't tell me thats how you built your first woodburner! I feel honored to know you bro.

Our landfill used to weigh you going in and coming out and charge by the pound. One day, after tossing the trash bags, I picked up a couple of heavy items at the "Too Good To Waste" site there and weighed more coming out than going in. Good long argument but I refused to pay them anything and they finally gave in. I told them I should be charging them for the removal of the crap.

That sounds like the guy in my area. I 'affectionately' call him the Dump Nazi. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
If that oak is bone dry then you are paying $500 a cord. Seven to nine cents a pound would make more sense.

IMHO.

HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THIS NUMBER? AND IF PAY BY THE POUND ID DEFINETLY BRING A MOISTURE TESTER.

acesover said:
...HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THIS NUMBER?

BB buys time on a bank of supercomputers set up for finite element analysis and solving matrices of simultaneous partial differential equations, so he can come up with solutions to problems so complex as to just completely baffle all the rest of us. :p Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.