Buzzing sound in firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
In February I was doing my typical top down fire with two small chunks N/S as sleepers and two larger splits E/W. Three smaller diagonal splits on top with some kindling and pinecones to get things started. After if got going a bit I heard buzzing in the wood from one of the larger splits. I shut the door. I was surprised since I thought it sounded like a bee or carpenter bee and could it be wintering over. Never heard that sound before even in the stoves we had in my folks house.

aliens,bees who knows could be the hot air vibrating some bark ,like when you blow through a leaf,or maybe wood had gas
You are hilarious should do stand up :rolleyes:

We get bugs once in a while. My wife found a pretty moth last month when starting the fire. It died from smoke before she could grab it.
We get the occasional bee or bettle.

Yeah, I've heard that noise before when processing wood. Never did find out what bug was in there, though..

That's a cross between cicada and katydid?

• Haha
Reactions: Woody Stover
Sometimes as the wood heats up it will offgas and make weird noises as the pressure escapes through the wood grain. I've heard whistling, screeching, buzzing, hissing, and of course the familiar crackling/popping noises to mention a few.

Carpenter bees lay their eggs soon. They hatch out in fall and then find a spot to overwinter. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 chose firewood. Being inside and warming up could wake it.

Carpenter bees lay their eggs soon. They hatch out in fall and then find a spot to overwinter. I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 chose firewood. Being inside and warming up could wake it.
That’s it. I see carpenter bees going into some of my splits with holes on the end. It was definitely a bee sound not off gassing. Thanks

That’s it. I see carpenter bees going into some of my splits with holes on the end. It was definitely a bee sound not off gassing. Thanks
I don't recall seeing a hole that big in any wood where I heard the buzzing, so it might be something else in my case..