Bye bye Pinto, hello Cadillac LOL :o)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be nasty,I only fix them,but I do know 99% of inspectors(insurance,state,local) are told the mfg install reccomendations are the final say.

If the inspector has a problem with it I am sure the installer will come out and correct the issue if it does not meet code

The manual is the bible in this case. It represents the tested and UL approved method of installation. Fortunately both of these problems (visual and compliance) are easily solved by putting either a slab of stone, a layer of brick or a hearth pad under the unit.

Last edited:
what do you mean its leaning, I've been doing it this way for thirty years.

thJQ5SIDM0.jpg

Reactions: Ranger72
Yeah .. just because he installed thousands, doesn't mean any were done correctly. Donno .. just say'n ... Who am I to say ... mine isn't done right (yet), either!

I DO like the looks of that stove, however! A nice 'step' for the stove to set on would look great! I wouldn't think it would need to be the full size of the stove, however. If a strip was wide enough for the front of the stove to set on, and stick out a bit for looks, then you could put a couple similar strips on the sides.

Reactions: briansol
The manual is the bible in this case. It represents the tested and UL approved method of installation. Fortunately both of these problems (visual and compliance) are easily solved by putting either a slab of stone, a layer of half-brick or a hearth pad under the unit.

Absolutely. I had this stove installed recently. There is no way that stove should be sitting on combustible material. If there is a fire, your insurance won't cover the damage because they will see the stove was not installed according to the manufacturer specs. No way I would have let my installers leave the house with that stove installed like that. That's just me.

Reactions: alternativeheat
If the installer didnt think it was a good idea/safe to put the stone on pieces of wood I am sure he wouldnt have done it. Again he has installed thousands of stoves
trusting an installer is like trusting a hooker that she doesn't have an STD

Just look at some of the posts that some respected members who work in the industry go out to 'fix' 'professional installs'.

This is one of them.

If you think this is ok, or right, you're wrong, and asking for an accident that might kill your family.

If you're ok going to bed like that- that's your call.

arrogance is bliss.

Absolutely. I had this stove installed recently. There is no way that stove should be sitting on combustible material. If there is a fire, your insurance won't cover the damage because they will see the stove was not installed according to the manufacturer specs. No way I would have let my installers leave the house with that stove installed like that. That's just me.
If the inspector has a problem with it I am sure the installer will come out and correct the issue if it does not meet code
He's not going to pass it, not like that. If that is even a final install photo. It's mighty hard to believe anyone would leave the stove like that.

No need to push it. Enough has been said. FWIW, it wouldn't surprise me if no inspection was ever done.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I would delete your posts. All this will be used against you in the insurance claim as we all know it will be a miracle if the place does not burn down. Just hope nobody gets hurt...what is the phrase? wanton and reckless.

If there is even a chance why not fix it?

The OP asked nicely for visual examples of better support to show the in-laws. Can you supply any?
Here is a rough idea.
new stove.jpg
What are the side clearance requirements for the stove. Normally they are about 12". The mantel looks closer than that. Can't tell if the mantel over the stove is ok or not. Which model stove is this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 08specB and Dhosh
The OP asked nicely for visual examples of better support to show the in-laws. Can you supply any?
Here is a rough idea.
View attachment 144090
What are the side clearance requirements for the stove. Normally they are about 12". The mantel looks closer than that. Can't tell if the mantel over the stove is ok or not. Which model stove is this?
Side clearances and clearance to the mantel must be a foot. Tough to tell by this pic, but it does look like they didn't honor those clearances. Pretty scary. I would agree with Chickenman on pulling it and lowering it the current hearth as long as the side tolerances are good. Do some of these "installers" just look at the clearances as suggested and not required? I had to tear out my entire wood mantel surround when installing my 52i so that I could adhere to the clearance requirements.

Here is a rough idea.
View attachment 144090
That is a 52i smokey.Woops,I mean Begreen!

Last edited:
begreen .... Hey nice work! ;-) don't you love drawing programs?
Is the surround part of the stove? or
Is that what the stove had to fit to ... or
did the surround have to fit to the brick opening?

Got me wondering on the clearances. My 25-PDVP states only 6" back, front, and 'both sides' .... silly thing doesn't reference the top. But ... as you have to put the pellets in from the top, and the pellet cover is more than 6" .... I guess they made an assumption. Each stove is different, though. The manual for this should state what they are. At least the apron appears to be slate or similar.

unnamed (9).jpg
uhhmmmmm..... :p

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
The insert looks to be only a brick width away from the mantel sides. That is less than 12". This together with the 2x4s does looks like a sloppy install. One has to wonder what other shortcuts were taken when there are obvious errors like this? On the surface it looks like a rush job. Kind of like putting old retreads on the Caddy.

Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 5.07.54 PM.png

Englanders get a bad wrap.. but hell for the money you cant beet them.. ya they might not be a pretty buy they put out good heat.. you could buy 2 Englanders for 1 harman lol ya i know harmon is the Cadillac but hey bang for your buck you really cant beat a englander
I happen to have 2 englanders and one harman. And i could buy 4 englanders for 1 harman $650 Each for the englanders and $2400 for the harman. If i could have only one stove it would be the harman.

Ok everyone can calm the HELL down. I just spoke with my mother in law and the stove is sitting on two bricks NOT wood 2x4's !!

everyone untwist their panties please :)

Reactions: Ranger72
Ok everyone can calm the HELL down. I just spoke with my mother in law and the stove is sitting on two bricks NOT wood 2x4's !!

everyone untwist their panties please :)
C'mon. No one in here wears underwear! Not when the stove is on! :p

Not to be a jerk but, Damn! If I was putting that kind of cash into a stove and a living room center piece I would definitely not have it jacked up on bricks. That is just flat out Hill-Billy. Get a good fix and complete the install job. That is like having a nice new car sitting up on blocks in the front yard.

Don't misunderstand me here. I love my Harman also but I feel the installer took the Quick and Dirty in and out route. I'd want a discount on the install job or them to get it right. Sure bricks might work but it is JAKE as hell.

Reactions: briansol
Not to be a jerk but, Damn! If I was putting that kind of cash into a stove and a living room center piece I would definitely not have it jacked up on bricks. That is just flat out Hill-Billy. Get a good fix and complete the install job. That is like having a nice new car sitting up on blocks in the front yard.

Don't misunderstand me here. I love my Harman also but I feel the installer took the Quick and Dirty in and out route. I'd want a discount on the install job or them to get it right. Sure bricks might work but it is JAKE as hell.

I do not think they had the brick or slate to put under the stove at the time of the install. They will be fixing the way it looks but due to the way the hearth was built it does looks like chit right now I agree. They are more of a form > function type of people but once they find the proper type of stone to fit it will look much better.

The installer is a good installer but I think he was a bit rushed that day also because he had 3 more stove installs after that one. No excuses though I know ...

What is the gap dimension wise? There are many options at places that sell brick, and masonry materials. Bricks are usually 2 1/4" high but can vary. They sell all kinds of limestone, granite etc; Another option is to pull the insert and form and pour some concrete leaving it low enough for some type of stone or tile to match. Doing this makes options almost limitless because you could do the crete to any dimension however they want.

I get the function over form and the fact heat is now needed so it is priority to get the stove producing heat. Details can be worked out. I bet that brick gap is eating the mom-in-law's lunch. She's probably already on the fix. LOL! Then again, if she's warm it will lighten her up some.

:p And you people up in CT call us KY folks Hill-Billys!:rolleyes: :) Might I suggest ya Duct Tape that there gap! Maybe fab up a hidden metal door / drawer for under there making it look like part of the unit to hide the dope and moon shine. It's a KY thang! Ya jest wooldant undirstan it. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.