Bypassing thermal switch on a Napolean 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cnpeters

Dec 17, 2010
St. Louis
On my Napolean 1402 insert, it has a thermal switch that turns on when the firebox is hot enough. An annoyance is when it cools down after 6-8 hours, the blowers cut on and off every few minutes, usually waking me up. I would like to bypass the thermal switch (at least wire in an external switch to bypass the thermal switch, so I can use it sometimes) so the blowers just stay on until I wake up (there still is heat output). Does anyone see an issue with doing this?

I had the 1101 and I never used the thermal switch. I think if you just have it off when you start your fire and turn it on when you want it on, it stays on until you turn it off. That's pretty much how the 1101 worked and I'm pretty sure it's the same system, just the 1402 has two fans in the front and the 1101 has one fan in the back. Have you tried this? I'm not sure it's gospel truth for all units but that's how mine worked. Hope that helps.

karl said:
PE has a rocker switch. One position is thermal. The other is stays on.

my osburn has that too, but Napoleons have one switch that I believe can be thermal or run manually. I'm pretty sure if you leave it off while starting the fire and turn it on when it gets up to the temp you want it on it will bypass the thermal nonsense and perform in manual.

not familiar with your stove, but I bypassed it on mine about 3 years ago. No problems... thrilled that I did it!

The other fix would be to get the thermal switch sitting flush on the back of the stove. I think what is happening right now is that with the switch sitting at an angle to the back of the stove, it cools just enough to turn off when the fan is blowing on it but enough heat to turn back on in 5 minutes. I've run into this issue with most P.E. stove fans we've installed, we usally take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 hour just to make sure it's flat on the stove so that we wont have any call backs due to cycling of the fan.

Good contact and a small amount of thermal grease on the switch should stop the cycling

I have a different stove but more pressure on the switch and heatsink grease made it work more reliably

Thanks guys! I think I will try the turning it on AFTER the fire is going and see if that helps, otherwise will do as Karl mentioned and just wire in a bypass switch.
Carl

cnpeters said:
Thanks guys! I think I will try the turning it on AFTER the fire is going and see if that helps, otherwise will do as Karl mentioned and just wire in a bypass switch.
Carl

When I did this it just stayed in until I turned it off manually. So even if the stove was cold the fan was going until my wife or I turned it off.

You missed the part about where the switch may not be installed correctly as it is. if it is in the path of the air flow from the fan or not tight up against the hot metal, there will be issues like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.