Byproduct: BBQ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Firing up the grill, but no charcoal today. Hoping to catch some of the scraps from the splitter on fire and have some smokey burgers.

I haven't bought or used commercial bagged charcoal in years....If more people knew what was in that stuff (its not just solid wood burned without oxygen like the old days) they wouldn't want that flavoring their food...

Reactions: n3pro and ScotO
Firing up the grill, but no charcoal today. Hoping to catch some of the scraps from the splitter on fire and have some smokey burgers.
When you really start getting ahead on wood start blocking up some cookies(oak, hickory maple, cherry) ~2" and pop them up with a hatchet let them sun/air dry on the trailer for a couple weeks and you've got some real cooking wood

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
When you really start getting ahead on wood start blocking up some cookies(oak, hickory maple, cherry) ~2" and pop them up with a hatchet let them sun/air dry on the trailer for a couple weeks and you've got some real cooking wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 141
Like it - nothing like repurposing an old gas grill for a smoker - it's hard to find a decent sized cast aluminum one any more, my old charbroil is doing the same thing(rusted legs propped up with a couple bricks)

Reactions: n3pro
Like it - nothing like repurposing an old gas grill for a smoker - it's hard to find a decent sized cast aluminum one any more, my old charbroil is doing the same thing(rusted legs propped up with a couple bricks)

Yeah , I might have to close up a couple extra vents and make an access door, but I think I have found my new smoker/ grill. Not bad for lawn waste using other lawn waste for fuel.

Nice, love the CG/Weber mod! I use my uglies and splitter trash for cooking outdoors, beats charcoal or gas hands down!

Reactions: n3pro
Nice, love the CG/Weber mod! I use my uglies and splitter trash for cooking outdoors, beats charcoal or gas hands down!
You bet, I am never going to buy charcoal again! A few more mods and this baby will be ready for prime time!

Reactions: NW Walker
I use mostly gas. But have bought real hardwood stuff last time.

Lookin' good Jack! We're doing chicken on the pit tomorrow evening, over some freshly split slivers of chestnut oak and some water soaked applewood slivers......also corn on the cob......

Pics tomorrow when the cooking commences....

Lookin' good Jack! We're doing chicken on the pit tomorrow evening, over some freshly split slivers of chestnut oak and some water soaked applewood slivers......also corn on the cob......

Pics tomorrow when the cooking commences....

Sounds good Scotty. I wanted to do chicken today but had some dental work done and wasn't up for it. Maybe tomorrow.

we do our chicken bare, right over the smokey fire......every time we flip the chicken, it gets a good coating of apple cider vinegar/butter/garlic sprayed on it......

Phenominal......

Sounds good. I've been making my own sauce since I was 21, and I'm pretty fond of it. Cooking it just like my daddy taught me-- nice and slow, seasoned but unsauced until the last 15 mins when you start to bake on the sauce and then finally crank the heat to blacken the bird. My son can't wait until he learns how to cook BBQ chicken just like his daddy and his bumpa.

Oh man, you guys are making me hungry! I think I'm gonna go fire up the pit right now, I've got some ribs to smoke and will grab a few branches out of the orchard on the way.

Man, I wish some of you guys lived close by, there aren't many people with the right mentality around here. Those ribs ski d delicious, probably my favourite food. I might throw on some bacon tomorrow with the chicken, it'd already double smoked.

Doug fir bark. Beautiful, HOT bed of coals. I have a huge pile that's getting bigger
How does that chicken taste on a conifer bark? - I've never heard of anyone using any type of conifer in cooking other than cedar splits for fish(salmon)

How does that chicken taste on a conifer bark? - I've never heard of anyone using any type of conifer in cooking other than cedar splits for fish(salmon)
I use it like charcoal, burn it down until there is no flame, only coals. It doesn't impart any flavor. The bed of coals is very hot, hotter than charcoal.

Reactions: basod
Prepping for tonight's chicken.

image.jpg

Reactions: basod
I use it like charcoal, burn it down until there is no flame, only coals. It doesn't impart any flavor. The bed of coals is very hot, hotter than charcoal.
Cool beans I guess I'll save a bit of SYP bark and dry out for a test run - thanks for the tip
I'll probably still have to flavor mine with any of the half dozen or so hickory limbs laying in the front wood line...yeah I'm sort of spoiled;)

Cool beans I guess I'll save a bit of SYP bark and dry out for a test run - thanks for the tip
I'll probably still have to flavor mine with any of the half dozen or so hickory limbs laying in the front wood line...yeah I'm sort of spoiled;)
I just did that with the bark and wood bits in my last pic, cooked down until smokeless. Just added some mulberry for smoke and threw on the chicken.

image.jpg Triple smoked bacon is just like candy! Chicken was incredible too.

Reactions: Thistle
Status
Not open for further replies.